Sheffield Wednesday, The good ol' days!

Lestat

NOTE: *Any Sheff Utd fans with silly comments or unwitty remarks, don't even bother to post. :x

I've just finished watching some Sheffield Wednesday vids from the 90's, including 'League Cup Glory'.....'Back in division 1'.....'92/93 season'. Basically when Wednesday were at their best for a long, long time.

It brought back so many great memories of the time, things like passing my driving test, student days, first serious relationship, first job etc . . . It was a great time for Sheffield, Both clubs in the top flight and folk proud to talk about Sheffield as a footballing power. Looking back now, it's seems so sad that the current young Wednesdayites cant taste that same feeling just yet.

Even the Unitedites seemed normal, my best mate who is a pig fan used to come over to watch Wednesday on the telly and wanted them to do well! I was actually the same!?...used to look forward to those derby days in anticipation - knowing Hirsty would score a goal or two.

I know it may seem sad but to think of all the great players that were at Hillsborough not so long ago i.e Des Walker, Nillson, Petrescu, Warhurst, Waddle, Hirst, Pearson, Palmer, Sheridan, Carbone, Di Canio etc...etc.... and to think how quickly things deteriorated is amazing.

My hi-lights of that period were:

1. The Chris Waddle free kick against the piggies in the semi final.

2. Owls v Blackburn....where Warhust ripped them apart!

3. 4 Wembley visits in 1 season, including 2 cup finals!

4. The game at Hillsborough against Chelsea that put us into the Rumbelows League Cup Final!

Wow, to think those were 15/16 odd years ago. . doesn't time fly? Lets hope Wednesday can do it this season and give the fans that feeling of success once again! :thumbsup:

COME ON WEDNESDAY! :clap: :clap:

I remember those days! The days when we finished in the top half of the Premiership...how I wish we could have those days again! Maybe we will...well we can hope anyway!!! I can still remember beating Kaiserslautern (I think it was them!) all them many years ago. Let's hope glory days can once again come back to Hillsborough! C'mon lads!!!!

NOTE: *Any Sheff Utd fans with silly comments or unwitty remarks, don't even bother to post. :x

Even the Unitedites seemed normal, my best mate who is a pig fan used to come over to watch Wednesday on the telly and wanted them to do well!

My hi-lights of that period were:

1. The Chris Waddle free kick against the piggies in the semi final.

So you dont want any Blades to post any silly or unwitty comments but you can call us pigs and piggies in your post :huh:

Little hypocrictical dont ya think ?.

Oh and enjoy your tapes, Its the only Premiership football you will see for a while

UP THE BLADES

Oh and enjoy your tapes, Its the only Premiership football you will see for a while

Let's just see how long u piggies remain in the Premiership! You may have drawn against Liverpool, but I think it's the only decent result u are going to get this season!!!!!

So you dont want any Blades to post any silly or unwitty comments but you can call us pigs and piggies in your post :huh:

UP THE BLADES

It's my thread, I can say what I want!. . . . If it seems hypocritical to you then start your own.:loopy:

It's my thread, I can say what I want!. . . . If it seems hypocritical to you then start your own.:loopy:

With all due respect bro lets look to the glorius future with the Rt Hon Paul Sturrock as our main man. The glory days were...glorious. My highlight was seeing [crosses himself] Our Lord Chris Waddle single-handedly destroy West Ham; the single most dominant display I have seen from one player in a Wed shirt (check it out on Wednesday World in the archives). I was gonna say by anyone but Thierry Henry isn't half bad.

But lets look to the future guys. The team IS playing well. Now there's a lot of 'ifs' coming here:

- if we get the investment from this consortium (see my thread)

- if we can sell the training ground

- if we get our EFFING squad fit

then there's no reason we can't kick on and acheive (admittedly maybe not this season) big time!

Sturrock is the man to do this. No question.

Although i'm not an 'anti-Allen' I would like to see someone else there (preferably the Sultan of Brunei).

Let's keep our heads held high - we're Wednesdayites!!

UP THE OWLS!

Yes Jazzy, I agree with you on Waddles performance v West Ham, which without doubt was the greatest (to date) of my 37 years watching the Owls. I had a pitiful 10 minutes of highlights from MOTD which included the classic Alan Hansen quote "And here we see Waddle on the wing smoking a cigar". Unfortumnately my tape seems to have disappeared (probably in the mass house clearance of 2004)...anyone still got a copy out there ????

Yes Jazzy, I agree with you on Waddles performance v West Ham, which without doubt was the greatest (to date) of my 37 years watching the Owls. I had a pitiful 10 minutes of highlights from MOTD which included the classic Alan Hansen quote "And here we see Waddle on the wing smoking a cigar". Unfortumnately my tape seems to have disappeared (probably in the mass house clearance of 2004)...anyone still got a copy out there ????

My brother might have it on Video, i'll ask him later on. He's got most of them i think x

I think, and Im not being funny when I say this, that we have to leave these times behind. We have to concentrate on what we have to work towards the Wednesday future. The Blunts have been out of the Premiership for 12 years, I dont think itll take us that long to get back but the restructuring is going to take a little while.

Lets face the facts, money rules. So we have to get an investment team who are not going to crucify the club, take a back seat and let Mr Sturrock do the job we are sure he can.

Let the future of Wednesday; Spurr, McArdle, Bougherra, Mcallister,Whelan, Brunt, Maclean lead us forward, add a few quality signings and let the good times roll.

UP THE BLADES

You can post canadablade... as you dont go to the lane..:P

I tend not to dwell on the past lestat.... the future is Bright... "its Blue'n'White"

Archived