Brass bands on Sunday morning

Don't know about brass bands but we used to get The Boys' Brigade around Crookes on a Sunday back in the 70s. Speciality the Dallas theme tune played on a glockenspiel. They were regular as clockwork, once they got to our road I knew I had 5 minutes to get to pub before it opened.

• 1 year later...

Always remember St Nat's band on sunday morning going round the Crookesmoor area. Also remember the Salvation army occasionally use to stand in a circle at the end of the roads and play.

As for hearing them locally in Aston cum Aughton about two weeks ago had a music day on a saturday and thought I heard a band on Worksop Road.

Never a brass band but every Sunday morning there was the Sally Army walking down Duke St.

Think they started off somewhere near Norfolk Park and finished at their place at bottom of Manor Oaks Rd. (Hampton St as was).

I have fond memories of leaning out of the bottom half of my bedroom sash window to look and listen to the 'Sally' Army's brass band at the crossroads of Walkley Street and Hoole Street, outside the Co-Op on Sunday mornings in the 1950's.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived