Consortium - SWFC

Does anyone know anything about this:

A consortium involving Owls fan and boxing promoter Dennis Hobson has revealed its interest in investing in Wednesday and wants to begin talks with club chairman Dave Allen as soon as possible.

The group, believed to include a number of high-profile businessmen from Jersey, revealed their plans to buy out Dave Allen's shareholding in the club on BBC Radio Sheffield after the Owls victory over Plymouth Argyle on Saturday.

And Hobson, who promotes Ricky Hatton and a host of other high-profile boxers, wants to sit down and discuss the consortium's proposition as soon as possible with chairman Dave Allen - or warned things could get hostile.

The consortium called for Dave Allen to work with them for the good of the club or take the way out offered. They also insisted they are Wednesday fans who genuinley want to take the club forward and carry 'no hidden agenda'.

The last time an approach was made to the Owls board was through now-Leeds United chairman Ken Bates - who offered to buy Dave Allen's shares in the club two years ago. Allen saw Bates as 'incompatible' with the current board and dismissed the former Chelsea chairman's offer.

Since the discussions with Bates, the Owls have moved forward on the pitch, with the appointment of Paul Sturrock resulting in immediate promotion to the Championships via the League One play-offs. Some saw promotion as a year too early for the club, but the Owls boss managed to equal his achievements last term by keeping the club in the Championship.

Some fans are still unsure about matters off the pitch though, and Allen's handling of club affair's. The club's current poor relationship with independant fans group 'Wednesdayite' isn't helping relations between the club and the fans, although bridges are being built.

But Wednesdayite have already issued a statement regarding the proposed investment distancing themselves from the consortium, although they have revealed they have been pro-active in discussions with the group recently.

Details of the proposed takeover are very sketchy at the moment. Any further developments (and we expect a few!) will be reported on Vital Sheffield Wednesday.

----

We need a bit of good fortune! But is Allen gonna be pig-headed and fu*k it up?

Sh*t the bed! Come on Milan you know you want to!

Former Portsmouth owner Milan Manderic has revealed he is ready to invest in another English club after selling his shares in the Fratton Park club - with Wednesday one of the club's linked with the Serbian.

Manderic sold his shares in Pompey to Alexandre Gaydamak last week for £17 million but insisted it won't be his final job in English football - with reports pointing towards the possible takeover of Wednesday. Wolves, Coventry, and Leicester City were also mentioned.

Manderic told the Daily Mirror: 'I love football and I would be a liar if I said Portsmouth would be my last club.'

It's been a hectic weekend in the Owls camp as far as takeover bids are concerned, with Wednesday fan and boxing promoter Dennis Hobson leading a consortium to discuss a possible investment in the club with current Owls chairman Dave Allen.

Mandaric is a Serbian business tycoon who has owned a string of successful businesses and football clubs, including Belgian club Standard Liege and French club OGC Nice. He took the reigns at Portsmouth in 1998 and his investment helped guide Pompey to the Premiership. He transformed the club's fortunes off the pitch while agreeing a deal for the constuction of a brand new stadium.

Current Wednesday Chairman Dave Allen has come under some strong criticism from Wednesday fans in the local press and media ever since his appointment. But the Sheffield businessman has come under fire recently for refusing to give successful boss Paul Sturrock a new contract until Christmas - a move that was criticised by Sturrock himself live on radio.

Mandaric is said to be interested in investing in clubs that already have the structure to move forward into the Premiership - and with the history, stadium and fanbase already in place at S6, there's no reason why the Owls faithful wouldn't want you Mr Manderic!

The Mandaric story, if true, could be very interesting.

But....

Given the other names mentioned,I cant see him taking a risk on Wednesday - I would have thought either Coventry or Wolves would be his first choice - both clubs are, im sad to say, more progresive than Wednesday at this moment in time, both have better squads and both clubs have grounds which will require little or ( in the case of Coventry) no investment, which cant be said for Hillsborough.

I think who ever comes in will have to have a very genuine desire to see Wednesday succeed and be prepared for long term investment/commitment.

Maybe Dennis Hobson,if he can make Allen listen, would be the way to go..

Archived