Martial Arts - any ideas!!!

arty480

Hi Arty,

If you've just moved here and want to join a friendly club with no pressure, just a relaxing training environment with good tuition and a mix of martial arts and weapons, try the Victoria Hall on Thursdays at 7.30 or Sundays at 6.15.

Not sure whereabouts you are, but you're guaranteed a warm welcome.

Jinja

Hi,

I can recommend Matt Hunter's kickboxing and Ju-Jitsu classes at the Gladys Buxton Centre in Dronfield. Tuesdays and Thursdays. He also does basic self defence classes without the need for flowery moves - just simple, useful self defence that everyone can manage whether they have a martial arts background or not. He incorporates circuits and fitness plus stretching into the classes, so I would say it is very well rounded, and suitable for keeping fit as well as satisfying the martial artists. Give it a go, Matt is very friendly and welcoming:)

http://www.huntermartialarts.co.uk

Hi, any jeet kune do clubs in sheffield?

Combined Fighting Arts, Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do, Grappling and Fillipino Arts Classes are available at The Sheffield Martial Arts Centre. The one near Bramall lane NOT the Tea kwon do place at High Green.

Excellent no bulls*** instruction from someone who knows there stuff, great atmosphere and good facilities. Highly recommend checking it out.

Matt Hunter's club at the Gladys Buxton Centre in Coal Aston is the best Ju Jitsu and Kick Boxing club in the South East of Sheffield / North Derbyshire. The Little Dragons class for small children is lively and fun. The standard of the Junior and Senior members is very high. The quality of instruction is second to none. If you've tried the rest, now try the best.

Matt Hunter's club at the Gladys Buxton Centre in Coal Aston is the best Ju Jitsu and Kick Boxing club in the South East of Sheffield / North Derbyshire. The Little Dragons class for small children is lively and fun. The standard of the Junior and Senior members is very high. The quality of instruction is second to none. If you've tried the rest, now try the best.

I liked the comments "the standard of junior and senior members is very high" and "if you've tried the rest now try the best" .

Not being derogatory in any way shape or form but if the standard IS very high then perhaps they can turn out "kickboxers" who are actually capable of competing in the ring (it is a KICKBOXING Club after all isnt it?).

Now if the club really claim to be the best then AFK promotions will give this club's best fighters the opportunities to be matched up for novice bouts.

Now it doesnt matter if they win all their bouts or not, if the instruction for the kickboxing side of things is worth anything then they should at least be able to turn out a few novice fighters.

Cool! Do you do much sport jiu jitsu i.e. rolling? Or are you more of a knife defence/set moves club?

I train at Royce Gracie Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Dronfield (Fanshawe School) on Mondays at 8.15 to 10.00, which I believe to be an awesome club.

It 's always great to roll with new people. I had a look on the web-site but can't find the training times of the club. Would it be ok to pop down for a roll (if that is the kind of thing that you do)? When do you train? I've only been training BJJ for one year, so be gentle!!

hi all,

Has anybody got any advice on finding a balance between doing weight training and martial arts training.

For example, would you recommend doing weights (I'm not talking power lifting here, just a few weights too keep your strength up) in the gym for 3 days then training in martial arts for 3 days. I like one day of rest.

Or do you think its better to alternate say, mon: martial arts, tue: weights, wed: martial arts, thur: weights etc etc...

Any advice will be appreciated

thanks

Archived