Martial Arts - any ideas!!!

arty480

Krav Maga is taught to the Israeli armies new recruits for a short period.

It is not taught to Israeli special forces.

The Israeli special forces are taught Kapap . It is taught for a longer period ( 12 months ) Kapap is a much more advanced system than Krav Maga.

The funny thing about soldiers is that they primarily train to fight with guns. But that's modern warfare for you.

The british army spend virtually no time at all training in hand to hand combat. The closest they get is teaching you to fix your bayonet and stab with it.

If you end up in a fist fight, then something has gone very very wrong and you're probably dead anyway.

Even the special forces aren't interested in fighting. If they have to get a little bit closer or a little bit quieter, it certainly isn't their intent to use their hands, they carry knives for a reason, and their preference would be to kill before you have time to shout a warning to anyone.

Even the whole 'jiu jitsu was developed by samurai on the battle field', isn't technically all that accurate.

Samurai fought with spears and swords from horseback.

If you're on foot unarmed, that's like bringing a knife to a firefight.

Jiu Jitsu was probably a training/fitness aid, with very occasional use on the battlefield and probably also taught to women.

The british regular army recieve zero hand to hand training.

The british special forces however do, and show great interest in this.

The Israeli special forces do a massive amount of hand to hand (kapap) this is because of the different areas they work in as opposed to the british SAS etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Would have to second Hunter Martial Arts , Matt Hunter is a highly respected person in the martial arts world and has coached/trained many of the people running their own clubs in Sheffield. A few very important things to look out for when choosing a club , 1, make sure they are part of a recognised association , 2 , do they offer what you want , not many people are inerested in the "sport" side of martial arts. 3, make sure that you are fully insured while training. 4 , do a few simple checks on the instructer ( take a look at hunter martial arts website , there is a page on there telling you what to insist on seeing ).

There are many people out there claiming to be martial arts instructers and running their own clubs , but many aren't even part of a recognised association . Just make sure you do the proper checks and don't be conned where ever you choose to train and good luck.

Would have to second Hunter Martial Arts , Matt Hunter is a highly respected person in the martial arts world and has coached/trained many of the people running their own clubs in Sheffield. A few very important things to look out for when choosing a club , 1, make sure they are part of a recognised association , 2 , do they offer what you want , not many people are inerested in the "sport" side of martial arts. 3, make sure that you are fully insured while training. 4 , do a few simple checks on the instructer ( take a look at hunter martial arts website , there is a page on there telling you what to insist on seeing ).

There are many people out there claiming to be martial arts instructers and running their own clubs , but many aren't even part of a recognised association . Just make sure you do the proper checks and don't be conned where ever you choose to train and good luck.

CBR900

You talk a lot about Matt Hunter. Are you Matt Hunter or is he your boyfriend or something? You say well respected in his world (whichever martial arts world you mean). With all due respect I have never heard of him. In the sheffield area there are a lot of respected martial arts instructors :

Examples=

Andy Marlow&Big Mark from Woodseats Thai/kickboxing, Mick and his team for Muay thai, The Abdulla brothers for Lau Gar, Dave for preying mantis kung fu, Craig Welsh for Kapap&Krav Maga , Mark Hayes for JKD , Mark Bottom for Royce Gracie Ju Jitsu, Jon Goldson for Gracie Barra Ju Jitsu, Andy Hill for Tae Kwon Do, Paul Oxtaby for Taekwondo and kickboxing (paul Oxtaby has participated in both to a respectable degree).

The marsden brothers for the innovative karate/kickboxing hybrid system.

Then for kickboxing there are several respected clubs who all produced good fighters at the last big fight night. My own club AFK , Claude from Black Dragons and Paul Powers from Malin Bridge.

If there is anyone I have missed out who should be on the list I am deeply sorry I have done this list in a rush.

Now who is this Matt Hunter ? Please let me know who has he coached who runs clubs in sheffield? If he is just an average guy running a very basic club then trying to paint a picture of him being some "big name" could be potentially dangerous for him.

There are clubs for people who want to just "keep fit" , maybe throw a few punches and kicks for like 45 minutes then go home and feel like superman.

That is all well and good as long as they dont try to pretend that they belong in the above list. The clubs I mentioned above do have "keep fitters" in the club. My own club has plenty who are under no delusions. Just that the above list is full of clubs and individuals who are passionate about their chosen art and take it very seriously.

Examples:

Royce gracie BJJ are a serious club, the guys from Royce Gracie come to AFK for their stand up and participate in MMA which to me is the ULTIMATE test.

AFK (another shamless plug) , we have clubs at the universities and the squad from the universities look forward to the university championships once a year. AFK central put fighters out on the night shows (come along to the next one on 17th of November if you like) to fight other WELL TRAINED fighters either from other clubs in sheffield or even out of town.

Ok, granted not all the AFK fighters will win every bout but we dont pick and choose easy fights. The important thing is they get in there and test their ability.

Wicker Camp's top guys fight at home and in thailand and train bloody hard. Fighting 5 rounds of 3 minutes against a well conditioned athlete is something not to be taken lightly (especially when a well placed elbow can damage your good looks!).

Andy Hill's main aim is to prepare his top level Taekwondo fighters for the olympics.

These are examples of taking their chosen art to the highest level.

Then of course you have Craig from Kapap who teaches such lethal techniques that instructors from other arts flock to his classes!!! I dont as yet as I quite simply do not have the time. Even though I intend to learn from this great technician one day and maybe borrow a thing or two ;)

A GOOD martial arts club should have provision for both new starters as well as for seasoned practitioners who wish to have the opportunity to take things further.

Dear o dear o dear . A person asks for advise and and nobody can offer it without having "AFK" rammed down their throat.

I am not Matt Hunter , and for what it's worth no longer train due to various reasons (injuries/age) , however out of all the clubs I 've trained at over the years , he had the best for what I wanted . Tell me "Chefkicker" if I were a 2nd dan in kickboxing , would it be worthless if I didn't compete. Not all people want to compete. I know of many people both in Sheffield and in Manchester that are very dangerous people with the knowledge they have , but none of them have competed and I'm not going to tell them that they know nothing because they havn't been in the ring . I find it pays to have more friends than enemies in this life . Relax , nobody is trying to steel your custom , just offer some friendly advice.

Archived