Joe Shaw ex Blade

My uncle was admitted to a care home this week and one of the other residents turned out to be Joe Shaw ex Blade. He appears to be in a pretty poor condition:( . Tragic state for anyone to be in. Apart from his football appearances I remember him well because he had a shop near where I lived in the sixties.

I've heard that said before and few would disagree with it. Joe Shaw's career, in the main, ran parallel to Wright's who notched up 105 caps. He got 59 of those, however, as a moderate wing-half and later moved to centre-half where he was seen to better effect with his tackling and heading ability. Shaw had little chance to depose Wright who was a 'Golden Boy' of manager Walter Winterbottom.

Like many players of his time, Joe Shaw showed great loyalty to his club, Sheffield United, and played his game effectively and unobtrusively. His height doubtless counted against him in the days of the 'MW' formation as the centre-half was 'the pivot' and had to deal with the aerial balls.

Archived