Old Static Water Tanks in Sheffield

"During the War"... (I know Uncle Albert again) ..During the War there were lots of Static Water tanks in sheffield, the nearest ones to me were one at the top of Hatfield House lane and one at the end of Windmill Lane, in Shiregreen..They were usually fenced off to stop kid's drowning in them but they contained all sorts of pond life eg: Frogs/Frogspawn, Sticklebacks, Newts , and lots of other things..these water tanks were there in case the water mains were damaged by bombing and the Fire Brigade had an alternate source of water supply..but we Kids were drawn to them like a magnet...My Dad who was the A.R.P Captain in the area in those days had a map of all the Tanks in the Shiregreen area, sadly it has now got lost....Can anyone Remember the location of these S.W.T.'s in their districts

Yeh! we had one where the island is at the junction with Crowland Rd and Hereward Rd, it was simply filled in to make the island. I still have a publication issued by "The Star" just after the war which has a map showing where every bomb dropped fell, it also has some really interesting info on what the different Sheffield steel firms made for the war effort.

• 2 weeks later...

There was a tank on the Manor Estate, it was still there in the early fifties but it was filled with rubbish and only just a couple inches of water was in it.

I lived at 123 Harborough Avenue and it was bang opposite my home but it was eventually filled in around 1954/5

• 3 months later...
Originally posted by Timbuck

"During the War"... (I know Uncle Albert again) ..During the War there were lots of Static Water tanks in sheffield, the nearest ones to me were one at the top of Hatfield House lane and one at the end of Windmill Lane, in Shiregreen..They were usually fenced off to stop kid's drowning in them but they contained all sorts of pond life eg: Frogs/Frogspawn, Sticklebacks, Newts , and lots of other things..these water tanks were there in case the water mains were damaged by bombing and the Fire Brigade had an alternate source of water supply..but we Kids were drawn to them like a magnet...My Dad who was the A.R.P Captain in the area in those days had a map of all the Tanks in the Shiregreen area, sadly it has now got lost....Can anyone Remember the location of these S.W.T.'s in their districts

i lived on bevercotes road we had around brick one down the fiel opposit therir was some metal ones in firth park near hucklow

road

There wetre two tanks as I can remember.

One is on Carsick hill road and the other is nearly opposite the Wisewood school on the rise of the hill.

I hope this helps you.

Maybe someone will verify this info.

• 9 months later...

There was a static water tank at the back of Pye Bank School. Not on the Rec' itself, on the waste ground that dropped down to Pitsmoor Road. I remember Ray Ashley (anybody remember him?) spending an hour diving in the filthy water, looking for the bodies of his two nephews, who, he was told, had last been seen playing in the vicinity. It turned out untrue, but they were missing for about eight hours all told. This was 1944,45.

• 8 months later...

There was a static water tank on Wostenholme Road on the left about 100 yards past Sharrow Lane traffic lights. I remember there were old stone gateposts at the front so I suspect it might have been a bombed building.

Probably ties in with another bombed building about another 150 yards or so further on the other side of Wostenholme Road. As a kid I was always scared that the water in the tank was really deep but I remember it being drained and it wasn't that deep at all.

How life appears different when we grow up!!

The houses at the bottom end of Bloor st. were hit, and destroyed during the blitz. Brick reservoirs were built on the site to hold a water supply in case of further need. The tanks were still there way after the end of the war.

Archived