Old Static Water Tanks in Sheffield

• 1 year later...

The National Fire Service water tanks which I recollect situated on The Manor Estate during the last war were One large one outside the Manor Hotel where Fitzubert, Fredson & Wulfric Roads intersected.

(2). One each side of Prince of Wales Road at the Farleigh junction. Outside the Brightside & Carrbrook, the Maypole and Needhams Chemist.

(3). One each side of Windy House Lane at the Wulfric Road inter section outside the Church.

(4) On Queen Mary Road. On the left hand side opposite the (Carrie Road?) junction.

I’ll leave someone else to give the others.

I was told some years after the war ended that though the main purpose of the Water Tanks was to supply the Fire Service on demand with water they could also be used, after being emptied, as mass graves in the event of instant war time requirements to prevent disease.

There was S W Tank up East bank Rd by the Midhill Workingmans Club.

It was the Barrage Balloons that used to frighten me to death, I had no idea what they were and thought they were there to gas the Germans.

hazel

"During the War"... (I know Uncle Albert again) ..During the War there were lots of Static Water tanks in sheffield, the nearest ones to me were one at the top of Hatfield House lane and one at the end of Windmill Lane, in Shiregreen..They were usually fenced off to stop kid's drowning in them but they contained all sorts of pond life eg: Frogs/Frogspawn, Sticklebacks, Newts , and lots of other things..these water tanks were there in case the water mains were damaged by bombing and the Fire Brigade had an alternate source of water supply..but we Kids were drawn to them like a magnet...My Dad who was the A.R.P Captain in the area in those days had a map of all the Tanks in the Shiregreen area, sadly it has now got lost....Can anyone Remember the location of these S.W.T.'s in their districts

There was one where PRIMARK now stands because we went fishing in it during the war. I can remember an old lady giving me a Victoria plum there,the first one I had ever had

Archived