Old Static Water Tanks in Sheffield

But is that not 'Angel Street?'. Snig Hill finishes at Bank Street dosn't it?

But back to the thread topic. Where was the NFS wartime water tank?

But is that not 'Angel Street?'. Snig Hill finishes at Bank Street doesn't it?

But back to the thread topic. Where was the NFS wartime water tank?

From memory:- A burnt-out Walsh's stood a the top of Angel Street backing onto Kings' Street. Across the road was the National Provisional Bank. Going down Angel Street on the left was Bank Street. This is where the Black Swan started off Snig Hill.

Across the junction, Castle Street started and a Police Station was on the left down Water Lane?. Along Castle Street was the Court House.

On this side where Snig Hill stared were furniture shop(s) and a shop which sold Chocolate (Fry's ?) above the shops were a number of flats.

Now where was the Water tank? I can recollect a 'British Restaurant' being at Bridge Street bus terminus on at the corner of (Cornish Street) where the Shiregreen Bus left from.

But I can not remember a Water Tank.

The static tank was actually on Kings` Street.

It must have been on the side where the Co-op was eventually built.

I can recollect the burnt out shells of Walsh's and I think 'One Pound Suit Shop' which was situated on the corner of Fitzalans Square and Haymarket where 'Woolworth's and the Market Hall' were and opposite where the Yorkshire Penny Bank was.

I remember two static water tanks in Woodseats. One was on Chesterfield Rd. in a space between some shops. It was opposite Olivet Rd.

The other one was at the top of Helmton Rd. (before the road was extended)

There was also a static pond in Graves Park about two hundred yards past the Chesterfield Rd. entrance.

Can't remember the pound suit shop on Fitzalen Square Albert, as I remember it was Marples, a photography shop and Wilson and Gumpets. Marples and the photo shop being bombed. I'm thinking you must be on the Commercial St side of Fitzalen Sqare. Wasn't Burtons next to C and A Modes, ( Burtons tailors of taste, out at the shoulders, in at the waist) at the top of Angel St.

Can not remember the S W Tank.

hazel

It must have been on the side where the Co-op was eventually built.

I can recollect the burnt out shells of Walsh's and I think 'One Pound Suit Shop' which was situated on the corner of Fitzalans Square and Haymarket where 'Woolworth's and the Market Hall' were and opposite where the Yorkshire Penny Bank was.

No it was on the opposite side, half way down.

Can't remember the pound suit shop on Fitzalen Square Albert, as I remember it was Marples, a photography shop and Wilson and Gumpets. Marples and the photo shop being bombed. I'm thinking you must be on the Commercial St side of Fitzalen Sqare. Wasn't Burtons next to C and A Modes, ( Burtons tailors of taste, out at the shoulders, in at the waist) at the top of Angel St.

Can not remember the S W Tank.

hazel

The ones that you mention were bombed and were in Fitsalans Square.

Its the burnt out buildings's in question that were between Angel Street, Fitsalans Square, The Haymarket and Kings Street.

What we seeking is where a Fire Service Water Tank was,

Lazyherbert, if my memory serves me right, you are right. The Tank was actually on King Street, situated in the middle of the road, not far from the top. I think this made the street into a cul-de-sac or one-way for the duration of the war.

Lazyherbert, if my memory serves me right, you are right. The Tank was actually on King Street, situated in the middle of the road, not far from the top. I think this made the street into a cul-de-sac or one-way for the duration of the war.

Spot on. I`m glad you remembered it too capricorn. And we caught little fish in it.

Good to have that recorded. Have we got more from any where else?

Archived