Old Static Water Tanks in Sheffield

Thanks, Al - I'll bear that in mind.

I learnt to swim in a NFS Pond on the Manor estate and it would be interesting to know how many others did. We would all have been told of the extreme dangers lurking in the ponds, How many youngsters drown or sufferred serious ill effects from swimming, skating Etc in or on them, would be nice to know.

Another thing matter is: 'Why did we learn to swim in the ponds when we could get free white coloured baths tickets from school to go to the swimming baths that the council ran?'

I can recollect the burnt out shells of Walsh's and I think 'One Pound Suit Shop' which was situated on the corner of Fitzalans Square and Haymarket

Even in those days, was the city being taken over by One Pound shops?

There was one in crookes. On heavygate avenue. In the book 'crookes revisited' there is a picture of them building it, the picture was taken in 1940. It is a grass area now.

When did the tanks get filled in?

It says in the book they were called static tanks then stagnant tanks for during the war.

Even in those days, was the city being taken over by One Pound shops?

During the time that the National Fire Service's Static Water Tanks were around. A 'One Pound Shop', would not have had many customers. I would estimate that the average weekly wage at that time was £2.50 per week!

The 'One Pound Shop' that I vaguely remember was for a top quality suit, made to fit your individual measurements and sold to you for £1.00.

TattyBear - Would you please get a reference for the picture of the Water Tank being built at Crookes. ie. Which book or booklet and page. It Will be useful to someone some day. When did the tanks get filled in? I hope someone else lets us all know.

During the time that the National Fire Service's Static Water Tanks were around. A 'One Pound Shop', would not have had many customers. I would estimate that the average weekly wage at that time was £2.50 per week!

The 'One Pound Shop' that I vaguely remember was for a top quality suit, made to fit your individual measurements and sold to you for £1.00.

TattyBear - Would you please get a reference for the picture of the Water Tank being built at Crookes. ie. Which book or booklet and page. It Will be useful to someone some day. When did the tanks get filled in? I hope someone else lets us all know.

In the 'Crookes Revisited' Book. Page 54. Published in 1989 by Crookes Local History Group.

In the 'Crookes Revisited' Book. Page 54. Published in 1989 by Crookes Local History Group.

Thank you - TattyBear.

Has anyone else got information regarding where the War Time Emergency Fire Water Tanks were situated. When we have snuffed it, all this practical history will be gone.

Did anyone see one of the water tanks used when fighting a fire?

Archived