Old Static Water Tanks in Sheffield

Apropos the "Pound Shop". There was also another shop nearby called the "Fifty Shilling Tailors."

There was, of course, Montague Burtons as well. They promised to throw in a free waistcoat, a shirt and a tie. This gave rise to the expression "The Full Monty" meaning you got the lot!

Apropos the "Pound Shop". There was also another shop nearby called the "Fifty Shilling Tailors."

There was, of course, Montague Burtons as well. They promised to throw in a free waistcoat, a shirt and a tie. This gave rise to the expression "The Full Monty" meaning you got the lot!

The 'Fifty Shilling Tailors' was the one which I've previously called 'The Pound Shop'.

Can't remember everything in my old age!!!.

Thank you for correcting me. - Heeley Tyke.

Pound Shops????? Fifty Shilling Taylors???????...Whats this got to do with Static Water Tanks??????

I think you mean "Tailors"

As for not being connected to static water tanks, the writer was pointing out a location in the centre of the city!

Pound Shops????? Fifty Shilling Taylors???????...Whats this got to do with Static Water Tanks??????

Back to the thread. Timbuck.

During the war the fire service had emergency water tanks situated in various parts of the city which they would use when necessary.

Are you able to find out, or know of, where any were located?

• 6 months later...

There was a tank in the playground of Carterknowle School at the junction of Bannerdale Road & Carterknowle. Another was in the old pig farm which once stood at the junction of Archer Lane & Bannerdale Road. They were signed EWS, (emergency water supply), in large white lettering. A local lady who was suffering from depression climbed over the wall and drowned herself in the Archer Lane tank, which was where the council houses are now.

Archived