Industry in beeley woods

depoix

i enjoy walking my dog through the woods,i have noticed that there are the remains of some form of industry built in and around the river,there is also the remains of an old pump house with a pipe running up the side of the valley, and what appears to be a partly cobbled path and a pile of furnace slag,all very interesting,but does any one know what industry it was,i pressume there were other works as there are several weirs and slough ,s .can any one shed any light on what used to be up in the woods ?

also,has any one noticed fig trees growing somewhere along the river don ?

i found this while looking for an answer to my questions above

http://www.economicexpert.com/a/River:Don:England.htm

i enjoy walking my dog through the woods,i have noticed that there are the remains of some form of industry built in and around the river,there is also the remains of an old pump house with a pipe running up the side of the valley, and what appears to be a partly cobbled path and a pile of furnace slag,all very interesting,but does any one know what industry it was,i pressume there were other works as there are several weirs and slough ,s .can any one shed any light on what used to be up in the woods ?

Is this on the end of Claywheels Lane?

Don't know what they are, but they've been there for over 35 years (I remember them from when I was a nipper) they were in operation way back then, but I can't remember what they actually were:(.

Where's beeley woods?
its a wood that runs just up from fletchers bakery at hillsbrough,follow the river don,along claywheels lane for about half a mile,the wood then follows the river up to outobridge,its a very nice walk

sccsux...yep they are the ones,i new they wernt centuries old due to the pump and pipes but i would like to find out what was going on in the woods

i also found out that there was a mine in the woods in 1872 up until the 1920,s

found there was a forge in the woods in the late 1700 ,s

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:M7l-8wntk9UJ:www.ehs.org.uk/ehs/Datasets/Assets/King08.xls+beeley+wood+forge&hl=en&gl=uk&ct=clnk&cd=2

it was the nova scotia tilt forge, now further down river we had niagra, why the north american continent names i wonder? i know that colonel colt,of the peacemaker gun fame had his pistols forged on claywheels lane,then they were sent to pimlico for finishing,could other american investors have been involved in the works on the river don ?

there was a very good export trade in knives to the americas from sheffield,i wonder what else we sent out there?

i also found out that there was a mine in the woods in 1872 up until the 1920,s

I knew that (apparently, my great (or great-great) grandfather used to work there):thumbsup:..

If you look at the streams that cross the road and feed into the Don, you can see the orange (oxidised iron) deposits from the old minings:cool:

I knew that (apparently, my great (or great-great) grandfather used to work there):thumbsup:..

If you look at the streams that cross the road and feed into the Don, you can see the orange (oxidised iron) deposits from the old minings:cool:

was it an ore mine then ? ive seen some of the quarries at the top end over the railway lines so i thought they would be looking for ganister or some other mineral, dont suppose you have the name of the mine do you ?

• 9 years later...