Sheffield Gas Works in 1918

Can anyone help me please?

My Grandfather worked at the Gas Works at the time of WW1 and joined the 49 West Riding Divisional Troops with other employers as Brigade Gas Officers. He died in France but I recently found some information that suggested the Gas Works had promised to put up a memorial to all their employees who had died.

I wondered if I could find out if this did happen, and if so, where it might be now - or at least it there are still any records.

Any ideas?

• 1 year later...
Originally posted by m0cbt

what was your grandfathers name..and i will have a look to see if he is on the memorial for you..

My grandfather was Louis (or Lewis) Harold Norris and he died 30.3.1918

Originally posted by gasman

War memorial to Gas board war dead of both world wars can be seen in Effingham Gas depot though due to security you may have to phone first to get access, I work there if I can help you let me know cheers

thanks for this - slow to pick up your message. Perhaps I can get back to you if I need help.

Originally posted by m0cbt

Hi Alveyd.

yes your grandfathers name is on the memorial.

hope that helps you

cheers

Could you possible give me an address and post code for Effingham Gas Depot? I don't know Sheffield at all but would like to come and see the memorial if I can.

thanks for the help so far.

No need to send a letter,had a word with the depot manager

just come down and go to reception and sign the visitors book.The memorial is just thro the gates on the left

If you need any more help let me know.

cheers Les.

Archived