Friend announces he's gay - how should I handle the situation?

He's your friend, what about treating him exactly the same as you have for all the years that he's been your friend?

Not actually sure if I can because its almosst as if ive been lied to all these years so its the trust thing you see

hit him.....mu ha ha......no seriously though, one of my mates came out as being gay and it didnt bother me in the slightest (once i knew he didnt wanna shaft me)

maybe a good slap might make him see sense,could it be one of these fad things.

Like sometimes its meant to be trendy to say you are gay.

Not actually sure if I can because its almosst as if ive been lied to all these years so its the trust thing you see

do you consider yourself as a real friend to him or just a buddy?

because as far as im concerned a real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out.

your friend just revealed his real identity, he might have lied to you or to all but he cant lie to himself and now he realised to show the real him, and it seemed its too hard for you to accept it. Now you will know it by yourself, are you just a buddy or a real friend? if you cant accept him of what he is, if you think its hard to treat him the same as you have for all the years that he's been your straight friend, i should say this is not a real friendship.

because there are many friends that walk in and out of your life in this world, but only real friends will leave a footprint in your heart... and real friend will not just walk in front of you, will not just walk behind you, but a real friend will walk besides you. a real friend will not only listen to what you say, but will also listen to what you don't say. :)

Maybe it's the 'trust thing' that made him tell you? Instead of thinking he's decieved you all this time, maybe look on it as has seen you as someone he can trust.

I have had friends come out before and I know it is a very difficult thing to do.

I hope you manage to keep your friendship :)

This has happened,,what do you do? how do you handle it? god its kind of freaky as ive known him for years.

Give him a hug, buy him a pint and just remember to always be there for him. This is not about you, it's about him. It's probably the hardest decision he has ever made in his life. Just remember that. Support him through thick and thin, and if you can't do that, you're not a friend. He's still the same person..................he just doesn't fancy women. No big deal really?

youve not been lied to, its just been hidden, must be one of the hardest things to do in life, coming out to friends and family.

he hasnt changed into a psychopath or owt, just carry on as you did before "the change" lol, hes still the same old friend, just somethings changed.

Probably he thought you'd react in the way in which you appear to be reacting and was concerned about losing a friend.

It's not as if he's come out and declared himself to be a Baby-eating, Crystal-Meth dealing axe murderer, for God's sakes. :) Now that might be reason to consider changing the basis of your friendship.

As has been said, just acknowledge it, tell him you're pleased he's felt able to tell you, and you now know for sure that you'll not have your friendship wrecked over fancying the same woman. :)

Seriously, nothing's changed for you - but he'll need a good friend.

Archived