What is Cubana like

YummyMummy

Can be very loud so I'd say it's no good at all if you want to be able to hear yourselves talk.

Also check the bill carefully, I once went in a large group and there were several items that no-one had ordered. Maybe they think everyone is so deafened and drunk they can't add up or distinguish between the dishes. I still quite like the place though if in the right mood - despite all the valid criticisms you'll hear.

Well, having eaten tapas in Barcelona once. I would say that Cubana's is not that bad. (Tapases in Spain maybe cheaper, but their protions are tiny. Only because it's usually served in bars, than restaurants.) I've had tapas in La Tasca before, and I much prefer an independent tapas restaurant which can make up their versions of tapas than to have standard common tapas dishes. I've had tapas in this lovely London restaurant once, and I would say that Cubana comes below that, but above an average chain restaurant.

I noticed that their portions are larger than average tapases, and maybe marginally more expensive. i.e. if 3-4 quid is chepa, then I think Cubana's are around 4-5, but their portions are indeed bigger. (If people care to notice.) For Sheffield's pricing, but they are quite decent. I much prefer something home-made, than for it to be from a prepacked source.

Sometimes, it's not about how much you pay for something, but the quality and the portion size too. I went in with two friends, and we were quite full from what we had. We ended up with 9 dishes, and 2 sides. Ranging from a good choice of meaty dishes, to veg, to seafood. I think we ended up with around 15 per person, which I think is okay for a night out.

We had a meal there, 12 of us, it came to nearly £400, for a collection of very uninspiring "tapas" dishes that all seemed to be in the same tomato soup and hendersons relish sauce (not as nice as it sounds). I thought tapas was supposed to be like finger food ? Also, we had booked the table for 9pm, we didn't get sat down until 10:30pm.

Like Gaz we had to have something to eat after we left.

Won't be going again.

I don't understand how come it's so expensive for you. :huh:

Is it because you guys spent a lot on the drinks ? I know the imported beers are expensive. (Well, club prices.) Did you have the set menus by the way ? If you don't mind my asking.

[Added] We tried the whitebaits, which was very nice. It's what I would consider to be more Spanish. It was a little bit too salty for my taste, but it was quite fresh. Some of the stuff, I must admit were not expected to be served cold. They had cold and hot tapas. It is definitely a place where you would go with a group of friends. It's got that kind of atmosphere to it. Not somewhere for an intimate meal. Well, you can go for the music, if you're into that too.

http://www.cubanatapasbar.co.uk/ - Menus to download.

Archived