Motorhomes or Touring caravans

Hi everyone,

We need some advice, We have just been away for the weekend in our friends notorhome and we are thinking of buying one. Are motorhomes as practical as touring caravans, and what are each veichles plus and minus points.

Anyone had a Motorhome with a fixed bed at the back, are they practical, me and my husband are both 6ft tall so it needs to be long enough.

We are looking at spending around £20,000

If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated

Could you reply or PM back

Many thanks Nicky

they both have plus and minus points really.

motorhomes can be expensive, but then when you add up the cost of a car and caravan, that can add up to a fair cost too.

the best thing about caravans is you can park it up, attach the awning, attach the waste and water and thats it, it stays there until you go home, witha motorhome you have to unattach all these thing if you go off out for the day, unless of course you take a car along with you too

Try asking the same questions here: http://www.motorhomefacts.com/index.php

Check your lease as some areas do not allow motorhomes to be parked up.

Google for wild camping for motor homes for best places to park without paying.

There's a shed load of motor homes for sale at Brownhills near Newark:

http://www.brownhills.co.uk/newark/index.htm

well worth a visit.

I have a caravan, there are good and bad to both. best thing to do is to have a good look around at both and then decide what the most important things are that you need it to have. The only problem i'd have with a motorhome is the extra test and tax (you don't tax and test caravans) and the extra petrol to take a car with you so you don't have to keep packing up!! With the amount you want to spend you have plenty of choice!!

Hi everyone,

We need some advice, We have just been away for the weekend in our friends notorhome and we are thinking of buying one. Are motorhomes as practical as touring caravans, and what are each veichles plus and minus points.

My son has a large-ish motor home, and tows a small Honda car behind it when they go off. There's a sort of towbar fitted, which makes the car follow the motorhome.

So, they can park up the motorhome and use the Honda to be mobile locally.

The problem here is and i know what your thinking..but

£20,000 for a motor home isn't really gonna buy you an awful lot to be honest.

What i would do i buy a caravan with a fixed bed..plenty on the market.try Bawtry Caravans.i looked a beauty a few weeks ago was roughly 16k.

6 berth..fixed double bed..shower centrl heating..etc.!

Just lack of funds stopped us from buying it there and then.

Also problems with motor homes is that unless you tow a car with you..veery time you want to go visit something interesting..you have to pack all up.

with a van you just jump into your car and off you go.

Van for me.!!

jt

We've just bought a motorhome and its the BEST thing we did!!!!

We bought a 2004 reg trigano tribute. Its a 3 berth and about the size of a transit van (fiat ducato base vehicle)

It runs on deisel so quite economical, you can drive on ANY road (great round devon & cornwall on the narrow country roads where we went in the summer)

Its got hot water, shower, microwave, fridge/freezer 4 ring hobs etc and my fella is over 6ft and he has no problems.

Its the only vehicle we have and we use it everyday.

I found it funny when we arrived at a campsite watching people in caravans spending over an hour setting up levelling getting water etc.

we just drive onto pitch - turn off engine - plug in hook up (if needed) then put the kettle on!

It cost us £20,000 and we bought privately. To buy the same model through a dealer would have been over £25k.

Go for it I say - get a campervan!

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Are you an avid camper? If you are, how do you go camping? Do you like camping in a traditional camping tent? While camping in a traditional camping tent is nice, did you know that tents arent your only option? In addition to camping in tents, a large number of campers enjoy camping in motor homes and you may want to think about doing the same.

Archived