Wong Ting - Has anyone been?

lily1979

Gotta agree with this!! You can always tell when a chinese resaurant is good when the chinese eat there themselves.

Lots of Chinese people eat at Jumbo #1, which is vile, and kind of dissproves your theory. I think this whole "Chinese people eat there so it must be good" thing is rubbish, English people eat at the Bankers Draft, it doesn't mean they do good English food.

I have been reading the chinese thread but its got a bit long. Has anyone been to the Wong Ting recently?? (was called Golden Dragon)

Its my wedding annivesary and although my hubby likes zing va we haven't been for a bit and have heard they rush you and staff not very clever so i fancy somewhere different.

Is it posh and are you rushed??

Wong Ting is nicer compared to Zing Va, been in Zing Va once, we were not rushed but they were too slow instead... Gosh ! we been waiting for about thirty minutes before the starter served, then another two hours before the main dish served, when we asked the waiter why it took so long for the main dish he said "two minutes"... then it turned out to be two hours waiting... ! :loopy: ZING VA not reccomended lol

sorry didn't realised u posted this thread http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=1504606#post1504606

Seen a few interesting points posted.

If you see chinese people eating at a chinese resaurant it means there is a real chinese menu and not the stuff the english get.

Ask the staff for the other menu and you will find they are helpful and friendly.

Try the dim sum menu at lunchtimes.

Don't order the chicken feet - most english people won't like it.

I know a few of the staff there and they are fine people. I know that they would be willing to help you discover real chinese food.

I am in the happy position of having a chinese house guest at the moment and she's a fine cook. The food tastes great and it's healthy stuff too.

Wong ting is a fine place - enjoy

Lots of Chinese people eat at Jumbo #1, which is vile, and kind of dissproves your theory. I think this whole "Chinese people eat there so it must be good" thing is rubbish, English people eat at the Bankers Draft, it doesn't mean they do good English food.

You have to check out who they are. The ones that do are mostly SE Asian students, who is on a budget probably.

Whenever I travel, I too go by the rule of 'what locals eat must be good food' by their standards. However, I would seek out recommendations too.

At the end of the day, as long as you like the food, what does it matter ? If you want something authentic, then the recommendations as said is indeed what people have. If people want good dim sums, they should also try and venture out into Doncaster or Manchester. There used to be half-priced dim sum wars in Manchester that's now kind of become standard pricing.

Saying that, I recall jumbo doing a 10 quid deal which includes oysters (?) Which was quite the bargain at one time ! If I was out clubbing, and needed quick meals for a large group of people, I'd choose that too.

• 11 months later...

Archived