Does anyone remember the "crumpet man"

Oatcakes and pikletts,I think the old fellow was Mr Mold he had a black bike with a basket on the front and yes he wore a flat cap,I think he made them at home in the kitchen,the last shop to make them and sell them was at the Walkley lane end of South road,it closed in the early seventies.

Pikletts and crumpets are made from different recipes,Kings on Dixon lane were the last shop I found to sell loose oatcakes, they can be bought from Tesco and are sold as North Staffordshire Oatcakes.

Yes I remember him where I lived at Norfolk Bridge, he had a basket on the front of his bike sold Pikelets (spelling?) and oakcakes, we never called the crumpets though. I also have a vague memory of a man with an ice cream cart/bike.

I remember the ice cream bike. Us kids were playing among the telegraph poles laid out at Olive Grove when he showed up. We didn't have any money for an ice cream but he let us touch the dry ice (which was good of him) and we all went home wondering how something cold could burn you. :confused:

• 3 weeks later...
was just reading all these "do you remember" posts and i have a vague memory of a man selling crumpets on a bicycle on a sunday afternoon...does anyone remember him. I lived on Gray street at the time Andover drive area

I lived on Fitzalan St, and I remember the the Crumpet man,very well, he had a bike with the basket on the front, it was painted in black the bike,I am not sure about the Sunday afternoon him coming round, but certainly during the week, he used to shout pikeletts and oatcakes,my mother used to give me a shilling to go out and get some

Archived