Old Sheffield Trades

KATIEB_23

one of my ancesters was a cupola painter, and I would love to know what a cupola is/was. Another trade that has gone is the one of knife handle making. I used to work for one in Rockingham st. in the 50s. the last time I visited the building was still there. The handle was made fron xylonite.

Has anyone else come across the word 'fertle' - to have a good sort out or to take a good look around.

Love to hear if anyone still uses this word.

Happy Days!

We used to use the word fertle, but it would be used when you had been " caught fertling with a lass" ...... like, we were having a fertle and her Fatha caught us. :P

one of my ancesters was a cupola painter, and I would love to know what a cupola is/was. Another trade that has gone is the one of knife handle making. I used to work for one in Rockingham st. in the 50s. the last time I visited the building was still there. The handle was made fron xylonite.

A cupola is a rounded dome ,so I should imagine he fancied himself as a Mural painter .

Like Michelangelo's paintings in St Peters, Rome.

Also in the dictionary 'Cupola furnace' but I don't think the paint would last long on these.

Take your pick

I remember a woman silver polisher I worked with, the silver was passed to her belt for the last polish after the buffer girls had finished, the woman had only two fingers on her right hand but handled the cutlery faster than anyone else on the belt.

Oh! those Sheffield silver days :love:

Hi pops, Tell me, was it a common occurance for buffer gals and polishers to lose a digit in the course of their work. I ask because I remember my Aunt Dolly was missing a finger, and even as a kid I wondered how it had happened. I reckon she must've done some kind of work like that.

one of my ancesters was a cupola painter, and I would love to know what a cupola is/was.

In these parts a cupola was generally the kind of furnace used in lead smelting. The smelting mills were usually sited on high, west facing, ground so they could use the wind to drive the fire. Many places with the name 'bole' or 'bole hill' indicate a lead smelting site.

Hi pops, Tell me, was it a common occurance for buffer gals and polishers to lose a digit in the course of their work. I ask because I remember my Aunt Dolly was missing a finger, and even as a kid I wondered how it had happened. I reckon she must've done some kind of work like that.

Texas, depending on what finger it was :hihi:

Archived