Bike race in Sheffield causing traffic delays? (31/8/06)

Swiller

They had it last year too.. and I think the year before...

And yet, somehow, thousands of Sheffield people don't seem to know anything about it and get caught totally by surprise. You'd almost think they don't bother keeping up to date with what's going on in their own city...

What i find amazing is that it only takes one main route in & out of the city to be closed for less than a hour during mid afternoon and most of the city comes to a stand still.

Perhaps if drivers in Sheffield looked more than three feet in front of them and didn't block junctions, like they do every time it snows, it wouldn't happen.

Does anyone know if there were similar problems in Liverpool on Wednesday?

Wow get over yourselves whats half an hour out of your life? every one moans that england never does any good at sport but is no one prepared to encourage it? Walk it would have done you some good or maybe even use it as inspiration to get a bike and ride. When this traffic jam was goin on i rode past it all on my bike laughing at all the daft red faced people stuck in their cars. I cant belive how negative everyone is about this race its both ridiculous and disgusting. Why not next year instead of sitting in your cars why dont you go watch the finish and cheer on the riders?

Perhaps if drivers in Sheffield looked more than three feet in front of them and didn't block junctions, like they do every time it snows, it wouldn't happen.

Does anyone know if there were similar problems in Liverpool on Wednesday?

I was in Liverpool on Wednesday watching the finish of stage 2, no major traffic problems from what i could see.

A little congestion when all the team cars and buses decided to leave, but that was over within 10 minutes.

Wow get over yourselves whats half an hour out of your life? every one moans that england never does any good at sport but is no one prepared to encourage it? Walk it would have done you some good or maybe even use it as inspiration to get a bike and ride. When this traffic jam was goin on i rode past it all on my bike laughing at all the daft red faced people stuck in their cars. I cant belive how negative everyone is about this race its both ridiculous and disgusting. Why not next year instead of sitting in your cars why dont you go watch the finish and cheer on the riders?

hmmm but if you add up all those half hours you spend alot of your time wasting your life! no, its not ridiculous we are negative, just that people choose to have it at rush hour on a week day when people cant even go and watch anyway! !!!!

As far as I'm aware, this race has been to Sheffield 3 times so far and yet everyone still gets caught out by it by getting themselves stuck in a traffic jam. Did you guys not notice the big yellow signs stuck on the lamp posts for the last feew weeks warning of road closures and possible delays?!! You can hardly complain cos your own ignorance caused you a delay.

hmmm but if you add up all those half hours you spend alot of your time wasting your life! no, its not ridiculous we are negative, just that people choose to have it at rush hour on a week day when people cant even go and watch anyway! !!!!

It wasnt at rush hour and there was signs everywhere I dont understand why people get so angry about silly things, this race is promoting sheffield and british cyclists that is a good thing however if it makes some people leave the 4x4 at home an walk the 10 mins instead it is a brilliant thing.

Archived