Bike race in Sheffield causing traffic delays? (31/8/06)

Swiller

plodge boo hoo did u see it on bbc today liverpool birmingham canterbury castle douglas had the finishing of the races so have a look of wha people said in there cities its always sheffield who seem to have problems i remember we once had a great funfair in sheffield but virgin megastore complained about the music thats why the gallopers that comes to city cant have music loud even though virgin blurts out loud music its all the same in sheffield were never happy .

If there was ever an advert for car drivers being selfish beyond belief, this post is it.

In life things happens that other people enjoy and which sometimes cause other people a slight inconvenience. If everything that incovenieced every one else was stopped then not a lot of sport for example would happen. I would say nearly all major sporting events cause traffic congestion. When football matches are on the areas around Hilborough and Bramall lane grind to a halt through all the extra cars. So should we ban sport? But the real reason for congestion on the whole in Sheffield is all those people in cars filling up the road every single day and not just once a year.

It ironic that an event that encourages a mode of transport that reduces congestion phenomenally is moaned at for creating congestion, on one day a year. Mind you few things annoy motorists more than being overtaken by a cyclist.

I just wonder if any of the anti-cycling ranters are on Shanghai's city council

Shanghai is now suffering terrible congestion as people are buying cars and riding bikes less. So they are thinking of banning bikes to help the situation!?!:huh:

"Bike race set to quit city

SHEFFIELD'S place in 2007 Tour of Britain cycle race could be axed after riders protested over safety.

The Yorkshire leg of the cross-country race finished in the city centre last Thursday, causing traffic chaos during the rush hour. The race took much longer than expected.

Traders complained that business was hit because several city centre streets were closed off all day.

Riders were unhappy with the Sheffield finish. Several said it was particularly frightening to dodge oncoming cars as they sped downhill from Hathersage into the city centre.

Problems were experienced in other cities. In London five people were taken to hospital after a collision involving two motorcycle outriders.

After protests by riders and team managers, organisers promised a major rethink for next year and offered to drop Sheffield.

Discussions will be held with development agency Yorkshire Forward, which pays £150,000 a year to host the Tour. A three-year deal to fund the race is believed to have run out.

A city council spokesman said he would be sorry for the race to leave the city, but said: "Next year the Tour is going to travel in the opposite direction from south to north, finishing in Scotland, so we believe a Sheffield finish would have been unlikely.""

Sheffield Star - 05 September 2006

I just wish the football matches that are played every week would cause so much outcry. The queues down penistone road are hurrendous on wednesdays (not that I care I cycle past it all). This bike event is once a year and now not it would appear.

Archived