Catholic Orphanages c1914

jo-jo

Hi

I'm new here and found you whilst searching for the above. I did see a thread that I was going to post on but seemed to lose it in the registration process :loopy:

Anyhoo - the reason for my visit is my grandmother. Although prone to - shall we say exageration - we are pretty sure she was placed in an orphanage at around 4/5 years old. She was born in 1914 in Hull but we think that the orphanage was in Sheffield and are almost certain that is was a Roman Catholic one.

Is there anyone who can point me in the right direction to research her early life. We dont know under what circumtances she came to be in an orphanage or even if she was an orphan! We know her parents were unmarried (therein lies many a *tale* due her name) but believe she was with her mother for a good few years after birth (at least 2 months factually).

Well - I look forward to hearing from you all and thank you in advance.

Regards

Jo

St Joseph's was a Reformatory and then an 'Industrial School'. I don't think it was ever an orphanage and wouldn't have taken young children.

According to this site St Joseph's appears to have closed in 1931 (I think it then became a hospital). Could this girl have been sent there as a young teeneager? There are boxes and boxes of records of this place in Sheffield Archives but the A2A site suggests they end in 1907 :rolleyes:

Here is a picture of a group of girls in St Jospeh's from PictureSheffield.

Hugh

Thanks guys for your help and comments :)

My Gran was born in 1914 and we *think* she was about 4 before she was placed in the orphanage although we dont know why. From what my dad can remember my Gran said that her mother didnt die until c1930.

We do know her parents were not married at the time of her birth. Her mother was married to someone else in 1905 but whether he was still alive in 1914 I dont know. Maybe her illegitimatcy was the reason for her being in the orphanage.

I think she was there till about 16 so the years would be approximately 1918-1930 so that would would fit St Joseph's. It would be dissappointing if the records do stop at 1907 :mad:

I have also emailed Sheffield Archives so hopefully they may be able to help.

Thanks again :thumbsup:

Jo

x

Hi.When I was a child growing up in the 50s and 60s we used to go to Mass at St Joseph's. The sisters did look after mentally handicapped girls and women because they often came to Mass with us. The only other thing I can remember was something to do with an RC children's home near Hillsborough. The name St John Bosco comes to mind. Sorry I can't remember more but I will ask my brother and see what he knows.

Greybeard :)

Thanks for that - I have email who I hope is the right person to see if they can help me further and will have a google and look at the national archives for the Carmelite Monastery at Kirk Edge this evening.

Grinder :)

This also sounds promising - thank you for your input. I hope that someone can recall the name of the orphanage you remember.

Now that I have started to look into my Grandma's early life I am getting a little like a *dog with a bone* - I just hope that I can get some answers rather than leading myself into a futile search :huh:

Jo

x

Archived