Catholic Orphanages c1914

jo-jo

Hi again :)

Well, its looking like St Joseph's is a likely candidate as they did take girls from all over Yorkshire. However (why is this never easy), HughW was right and the Sheffield Archives only hold records to 1907 :mad: I have been in contact with St Marie's catherdral but unfortunately the dont know where the further records are kept either.

My next step is to write to a Father Walsh who is the parish priest at St Vincents. Apparently St Joseph's would have fallen under the same jurisdiction - so - fingers crossed :confused:

Would anyone have any further idea's as to where the records might be?

I have also found out that my grandmother would always donate to The Little Sisters of The Poor which seems odd to me unless you had connections with them - I am also going to write to them on the off chance thats a hit :suspect:

Thanks again to all :thumbsup:

Jo

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jo,

Have just been reading your thread about your Grandmother. I believe my Nana also went to St Josephs, between the years of about 1925-1933. She was sent there when she was about 7.

I have visited St Josephs, at present they are turning the school into luxury apartments, but the exterior remains the same. We took some photos of the outside, I'll email you them if you want.

My mum has researched a little into St Josephs, I think they relocated to ?Blackpool in the early 1930s. So maybe the records we need were taken with them!

I would be very interested in any information you manage to find out about St Josephs.

Hope this helps a little bit!

Lucy

Here is a picture of a group of girls in St Jospeh's from PictureSheffield.
Whilst that looks very similar I'm not at all convinced that it is St Josephs School. The classrooms weren't double banked with a central corridor. It might be down at St Vincents.

Hi again :)

Well, its looking like St Joseph's is a likely candidate as they did take girls from all over Yorkshire. However (why is this never easy), HughW was right and the Sheffield Archives only hold records to 1907 :mad: I have been in contact with St Marie's catherdral but unfortunately the dont know where the further records are kept either.

My next step is to write to a Father Walsh who is the parish priest at St Vincents. Apparently St Joseph's would have fallen under the same jurisdiction - so - fingers crossed :confused:

Would anyone have any further idea's as to where the records might be?

I have also found out that my grandmother would always donate to The Little Sisters of The Poor which seems odd to me unless you had connections with them - I am also going to write to them on the off chance thats a hit :suspect:

Thanks again to all :thumbsup:

Jo

I welcomed you when you posted this thread. Now, I may be able to help you. The Little Sisters of the Poor arrived in Manchester from Ireland in 1868. They first used premises in Prestwich, which is on the border of Manchester but actually in Bury Metropolitan Borough. They later moved into Manchester and became established there, and — I believe — did open a place in Sheffield. In Manchester they usually took in any poor or orphaned person of either sex.

Tony

NOW I understand where the confusion lies :loopy: Do you know if the reformatory building is still standing?

Peter

Thats great info thanks :) Only having *Sheffield* to go o is not really making my search easy so I have to rely on *hunches* and go from there. I dont suppose you know the years that The Little Sisters of The Poor opened a place in Sheffield. This could help me to either count them *in* or discard the option.

Thanks again :)

Jo

Archived