Catholic Orphanages c1914

jo-jo

The little sisters of the poor in sheffield was on heeley bank road, it was demolished in the late 70s early 80s , Saint elizabeths housing estate now stands on the site. Im not sure if the little sisters remained in sheffield or moved to a alternative city.

1/ The Little Sisters are in Manchester (see previous input)

2/ They were known as Little Sisters of The Poor. Certyainly not an orphanage in my time and I visited there from a boy. My Uncle Frank did: a lot of volunteer work there. :)

• 1 year later...

Interested to find this site.

I was looking for the location of St Josephs church Walkley, Sheffield and came across your forum. I was wanting the location for my family tree.

In 1941 my Mum was 16 year old girl and she worked very hard at the home for mentally handicapped girls next door to the church. They had quite a few other girls working there who were deaf. The home was run by the Sister's of charity. The work had a profound effect on my Mum who recalls some of the pitiful cases that came in and were often left by there and families. She also recalls carrying girls and women down to the cellars on stretchers during air raids of WW2, working long hours, which involved washing huge cotton nappies out by hand and removing nits from the hair of those who had recently arrived. She had her own cubical to sleep in that was regularly inspected. Eventually after about a year she caught bad flue and was taken back home to Langold, nr Worksop by her Mum and Dad. She never did go into nursing after that experience, soething that she still, I think regrets.

Hope this could be of interest to those researching the history of the use of the 'school' next to the church.

• 7 months later...

I was in a convent/childrens home on Minto rd when i was younger. Firstly, i was there on and off for a couple of years and then when i was 11yrs old, things were going so badly that i requested i be sent there myself. I stayed mainly in the house at the bottom of Minto rd when i was very young but was in the bigger house when i was approx 11yrs. The nuns were ok but one of them was a **** who wanted all the dinner eaten before you left the table. I went to sacred heart school and the church ajoined to it.

I'm new here and found you whils when i was abo

11yrs. searching for the above. I did see a thread that I was going to post on but seemed to lose it in the registration process :loopy:

Anyhoo - the reason for my visit is my grandmother. Although prone to - shall we say exageration - we are pretty sure she was placed in an orphanage at around 4/5 years old. She was born in 1914 in Hull but we think that the orphanage was in Sheffield and are almost certain that is was a Roman Catholic one.

Is there anyone who can point me in the right direction to research her early life. We dont know under what circumtances she came to be in an orphanage or even if she was an orphan! We know her parents were unmarried (therein lies many a *tale* due her name) but believe she was with her mother for a good few years after birth (at least 2 months factually).

Well - I look forward to hearing from you all and thank you in advance.

Regards

Jo

• 1 year later...

old thread I know but my mum was born in 1935 and went to St Josephs school in Walkly so not sure why some people think it closed in the early 1930s There must be someone on here who went there too I am not sure but I seem to remember the author of Weers me Mam mentioning this school when he was growing up in the 40s. I think it was affliated to St Vincents Church.

My mum recalls the nuns being very cruel and beating them on Monday mornings if they had not been to church on Sunday she left school when she was 14 so that would have been about 1948/9

• 3 weeks later...
Was St Josephs the one up on a hill, or was that the church part.

St Josephs Church, Convent and Hospital was on the hill. Just below and over the road was the Primary School

The Primary School building still exists but is converted to luxury flats. St Joseph's Church and Convent is now a Buddhist Centre and the adjacent Hospital was demolished and replaced with Housing Association dwellings for the elderly.

• 1 year later...

New to this forum and interested in St Joseph's catholic industrial School for Girls, Nether Hallam between 1890 and about 1896.

I've just discovered my great aunt Alice Barrett was placed in this school having been removed from Hebburn, South Shields in 1890 when bother her parents were imprisoned for child cruelty.. It was reported in the Newcastle Journal on 1 April 1890 when she was ten years old and she was to be sent to Sheffield for six years until she was 16. Her five younger brothers were also placed in seperate homes but eventually ended up all living in Chopwell near Gateshead as coal miners.

I can see that Alice appears in St. Joseph's on the 1891 census aged 11, but am unable to find her in 1901 or 1911 so far, although I've only been looking for a week!

Does anyone know what kind of jobs these girls ended up with, or indeed what happened to them when they were sixteen? Her parents seemed to disappear after their imprisonment.

Can I suggest that members might find it useful to search the British Newspaper Archive for places, street names and person names as a further source of locating ancestors.

Archived