Birthday party venues, suggestions and soft play centres

Zebra

Following the vein of posts about reviewing playcentres I shall follow on with another response about Kidz Kingdom.

I've been twice now. My girls are both just two and can manage all the equipment. (For twins see mountain goats!)

I can see them pretty much anywhere in the whole room from the seating area which I like. I really prefer to be able to see them whenever possible and I think they gain some reassurance from being able to see me, that was a big plus in my eyes.

The whole thing is very clean (but then it is new!) and the set up of the equipment is diverse so it keeps being fun and novel for long periods of time.

I like the drawing area, that's a nice twist which gives them a little time to chill out from the endless zooming about.

The staff are lovely, everyone has been very polite and pleasant and it doesn't seem to be a strain to them. In some places the staff seem to be nice because they have to, not because they choose to.

The food is fine. Better than some places I've been to and the prices correspond to that but it's reasonable.

Baby changing area with wipes and nappy bags, nice touch. Child friendly loos, also good.

The loos aren't well sign posted and I've seen lots of people heading for the disabled loo or gents in confusion, most people eventually seem to figure it out though.

Limited parking but then it was heaving for a while today and I still managed to find a space at the back, just keep going round the building in an anti-clockwise circle and you'll find it.

My only complaint was the price today, £3.75 each. Apparently because afterschool and weekends are peak times. So, my twins cost £7.50 to get in. I was expecting the £6.00 I paid last time so it felt like a bit of a kick. There is a loyalty card scheme, you get a stamp on a card, once it's full (10 visits) you get a free play session. So, you could see it as averaging out at roughly £2.70 per visit.

I love the decor and design, a castle theme. One of my girls is fascinated by the star cloth overhead by the loos and she rather likes the colour changing cut out cross on Rapunzels tower too. It's quite understated but nice. I'd probably add bunting flags to some of the more obvious structural aspects of the building to more enhance the castle theme.

The food area is called The Dragons Diner, again in keeping with the theme (kingdom, castles etc), another nice touch.

So, be prepared for price changes at certain times or days but then relax as your kids have a wild time

• 3 weeks later...

Tots to Tens at Hillsborough (down by the dog track & turn right) was fantastic on Saturday the 22nd of Dec 07 for our granddaughters birthday, there was a disco which did games for the kids to enjoy and competitions for dancing etc. The food was fresh (they were making the sandwiches during the beginning of the party) we had exclusive use for 2 hours (plenty of time for all the age ranges) but the BEST bit of all was the fact that they let adults enjoy all the play amenities too. Wonderful!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for my daughters 3rd b day. She has lots of little friends whose birthdays all fall at the same time, as a result we have 5 soft play invites over the next 3 weeks. I'd like to do something different but can't face having them all to mine. Any ideas??? Shes really excited so can't just pretend its not happening. (that sounds so mean, i don't quite mean it like that).

I was also wondering if their is an alternative to asking for presents?? Would it be rude to just ask for no presents on the invite? Its just she has so much stuff and most of the crimbo pressies are still untouched, the house is starting to feel very cramped with all the toys and i really feel most are unnecessary. Would appreciate suggestions.

Maybe take a few out to Butterfly world at Aston ....I'm sure if you search it on the Net you'll find it. Have a read.....Lots of animals and stuff - they do a kind of little party and play games ...I've been to a few there ...;)

With the invitations slip some paper in explaining a present is not necessary, but if they would like too, maybe ask for a voucher for ELC as an alternative or WHSmiths and get the little one some pre school learning books ... :D

I don't think it would be rude to ask for no presents - it would probably be a relief for most parents. Perhaps you could ask them to bring some food instead, and have a picnic, or if it's indoors, an indoor picnic. You can hire a hall, get small bouncy castles/ships for indoor play, a few games, some megablocks, etc and you're away

Another alternative for presents is to ask them to donate to one of the schemes like Oxfam runs, where they can give money to buy books for schools in developing countries, or goats, etc...Your daughter will receive a card that says 'so-and-so has given you a goat', and all about how the goat will help the person it's ben donated to. Then you, and they, are doing good, you don't have a houseful of toys, and your child learns a little bit about people in other places, and how they live.

Or, if you're not asking them to pay for a presnt, you can ask them to pay for their entrance into one of the more expensive options for a birthday party, like Magna.

Hope that helps.

Messy party, I've done an event where we did decorating balloons, face painting and similar stuff,they all dressed up fancy dress too. It was at someone's house and it worked well.

(I face paint btw :D)

Archived