Birthday party venues, suggestions and soft play centres

Zebra

I've been in here today and found it to be dirty in all the corners and edges, crumbs and accumulated dirt in general.

Also not keen on the open ended kitchen, an adventurous toddler could get into some sort of trouble in there.

I like the look of the equipment and my kids certainly liked it, though the not very slidey slide soon wore off as a novelty. The tables are all bubbled and bumpy after just 4 months of being open.

The £4.25 weekend rate is a bit of a swizz too.

I have to say I like Kidz Kingdom better.

There's a space around the same sort of size, a climbing ramp up to an upper level with a plastic bubble they can climb in, a double slide, a ball blower, all on a large padded area with enormous lego pieces and some soft shapes and then there's a car track which is tiny with 3 Little Tikes cars.

The area is brightly coloured and not bad but the novelty very quickly wore off for the gruesome twosome and they only wanted to go on the over 3's or 4's bit.

The toddler area isn't worth the fee in my opinion, not so bad if your child likes both, but even then, the fee is too high.

We went yesterday. I would say it's just as good as Kidz Kingdom. The toddler bit is one area which meant my little boy could run around more than he can at Kidz Kingdom. He loved the ball blower, his mouth just hung open in disbelief! Although I feel that the toddler sections in all these places aren't really enough to keep him interested now that he is walking. It cost £4.25 to get in which I was miffed about because in sheffield the holidays are over so I don't see why they were still charging peak rate. They gave me a loyalty card but you have to go 9 times before you can get the 10th free. I think that's hoping a bit as I can't see us going that many times at their prices.

I paid attention to how clean it was and I thought it was fairly clean apart from yes there was crumbs and fluff in some of the gaps.

Overall I think it's probably worth the money at the non peak rate and for older children. I don't understand why these places don't do a cheaper rate for toddlers as they don't provide anywhere near the same amount of equipment as they do for the older ones.

That's a good idea Corbyn, a lower rate for toddlers would make sense. I think I'm hard done to with twins at times so I judge harshly when it's twice over for the same age.

I'm still not keen on the variety of the larger frame, my girls were bored a little quicker than I'd like and they are generally a pair of mountain goats who adore climbing and slides.

My girls loved the blower too, there was a girl there last weekend who was doing the whole front of the Titanic routine on top if it which was hilarious! She looked so cute and was entirely unaware of the imagery of course :D

• 2 weeks later...

I've been to Big Tops and although it's a nice play centre with plenty to do, I find it hard to watch my kids because it's all spread out so much. So I end up laden like a pack horse and sitting in a heap on the floor nearest the play equipment they are on.

Other than being a logistical nightmare it's a nice enough place.

hello, i've been to these places elsewhere, one was called Hickory Dickory's and they are great for rainy days, they are big padded areas with ball pools and slides and climbing frames but all safe and the best ones have a cafe where you can retreat back and let the little'uns get tired out whilst you have a cuppa. but are there any in sheffield? i've not heard of any but i'm sure there must be

cheers in advance x

Archived