Reservations for Thyme Restaurant

soft_giraffe

Oh right? Is it still a good restaurant then? Which one of the two would you recommend more? Thanks for letting me know - you would have thought they would have updated their webpage!

Catch is a seafood restaurant, very informal dining, open kitchen etc, average. Artisan I suppose is more formal, Anglo French bistro cooking, better of the 2 in my opinion.

Hope that helps.

I take it you are referring to the old Thyme in Crosspool, as you can not book for Thyme cafe in Broomhill.

Good choice. I have used both Catch and Artisan. If you all luuuurrrvvvvvveee fish and seafood then catch is your place. Artisan has an excellent mixed menu with a good range of fish. Went there last night and all six of us had fantastic meals.

The wine menu is good, even at the lower end of the price range.

You will have a great meal.

There is a pub about three minutes walk around the corner (not sure of its name - but the side street leads to Manchester Road). This was a good place for a post meal drink and to order a taxi from.

Thyme in Cross Pool, or Catches as the upstairs fishy bit is now known ... Went there yesterday with a colleague for lunch. Started with 6 oysters (too big and therefore rather low on flavour) followed by fish pie (very nice). Got home and promptly succumbed to a spectacular dose of diarrhoea, details of which I shall spare you. Had to be the oysters, timing just right for dodgy shellfish. Rang Catches, thought they might like to know, and spoke to the waiter who served us. "Did you drink any alcohol?" "Yes, I had one small glass of wine." "Ah, we advise people not to drink alcohol with shellfish, it can cause an upset stonach." Eh??? Funny he didn't mention it at the time. Funny, too, that I've been eating oysters probably since before he was born, pretty well always with a glass of wine (or two), without the slightest problem. And he really ought to tell the French about that! On advising him of this he grudgingly agreed he'd tell the chef. As I pointed, out I wasn't making a complaint - eating raw shellfish is always a bit of a risk - I was trying to be helpful.

So there you are. Enjoy your food at Catches but don't expect anything better than a surly response if anything goes wrong.

I ate oysters when I went, they were too big then, lacking in flavour.

I do remember the waitress asking if I had eaten them before. I noticed a sign on the table warning customers about the perils of mixing alcohol and shell fish.

Apart from the shell fish, had a great meal.

Archived