Information about Norwood Avenue

Hi Jan, great to hear you knew those wonderful folk on Norwood Ave. We once went on holiday, my parents and me from Carwood Rd. and aunt Cis and Mrs. Quinn; to Brid. I think, on the train. I remember clearly listening to Mrs. Quinn talking on the journey about a burgulary in the area. In those days so rare that it would be talked about everywhere. (around this time there was a paper boy murdered in Wigan of a similar age to myself and this was a national news topic for weeks: just shows how bad things have got as they're everyday now.) Collis is an unusual name, he always wore a Trilby hat and reminded me of American film characters. They had a dog, 'Rex', which Aunt Cis would sing to and it joined in with howling! I used to ride up to Norwood Ave. to see them on Sundays on my 3-wheel bike, 'Family Favourites' drifting out of the houses on Herries Rd. as I passed. I admired the Art-Deco bus shelter by the City General (as it was then) I believe that icon was a victim of Civic Vandalism, being demolished some time ago. Should have been a preservation order on it.

any relation to julie and jackie weston?

Hi Jan, great to hear you knew those wonderful folk on Norwood Ave. We once went on holiday, my parents and me from Carwood Rd. and aunt Cis and Mrs. Quinn; to Brid. I think, on the train. I remember clearly listening to Mrs. Quinn talking on the journey about a burgulary in the area. In those days so rare that it would be talked about everywhere. (around this time there was a paper boy murdered in Wigan of a similar age to myself and this was a national news topic for weeks: just shows how bad things have got as they're everyday now.) Collis is an unusual name, he always wore a Trilby hat and reminded me of American film characters. They had a dog, 'Rex', which Aunt Cis would sing to and it joined in with howling! I used to ride up to Norwood Ave. to see them on Sundays on my 3-wheel bike, 'Family Favourites' drifting out of the houses on Herries Rd. as I passed. I admired the Art-Deco bus shelter by the City General (as it was then) I believe that icon was a victim of Civic Vandalism, being demolished some time ago. Should have been a preservation order on it.

yes it was a nice estate back then. I remember the dog Rex, your aunt used to go for a cuppa and a chat every thursday to my mother-in-laws, and she would get him to sing, as she called it.

• 1 year later...

Hi again Jan 39,I brought up the Norwood Avenue photos on Shefield Libraries Picture Sheffield.com and was amazed to see those of the VE Day street party there. My aunt Cissy Weston is clearly identifyable along with her next door neighbour, Dolly who is holding me as a 6 month old baby. Just wondering if you have any news on Dolly as I last saw her around 1993 after my aunt's death.

• 2 years later...
Has anybody got any information on Norwood Avenue on previous residents or can anyone recommend any helpful web sites to help me trace previous residents and it's history.

Thank you!

I remember Mrs Weston. she was a big friend of my mother-in-law Mrs Quinn, I lived with my my inlaws on Norwood Avenue when I was first married. You mention Norwood Avenue it was my mother-in-law who got the name changed from Longley Avenue, to Norwood Avenue when the Shirecliffe estate was built. I agree with you about Norwood being a lovely estate, everyone took interest in their homes and kept the them nice along with the gardens.I was shocked when I passed through a few years ago it, it looks dreadful now. My husband Keith obtained a photo of the street party after the war, from Weston Park museum, they had an exibition of sheffield after the war. and he spotted the photo on display, I'm sure you'd be able to get one from there. you'd find it very interesting with all the people on it.

Archived