Fed up of OAPs on mobility scooters!

Chew

Yes, they can stop,steer and brake, however these facilities need to be used a little more often. I've nothing against the scooters per se but, some of the riders need education/training in their proficient use.

There are no faults in the training that ShopMobility Clients receive. It's very thorough.

I do agree that some companies sell scootas, willy-nilly, to anyone, and the purchaser just gets handed the keys and they are let loose in public.

Our clients are taught how to handle/ control the scoota, from steering to speed.

While we're on the subject, anyone ever seen that old boy zooming up and down the Prince of Wales / Greenland road in Darnall? Theres a perfectly good (empty) pavement yet he chooses to use the road. I once saw him overtake a stationary bus on it :loopy:

What a nutter, part of me says it should be taken away from him - i know its mean but at least he'll get to live longer.

Sometimes we are forced into the road in our wh'chairs or scootas because some plonker has parked on the pavement, blocking it, or there are no dropped kerbs to get up and down onto the pavement when one is crossing.

this may not be the case in the "old-boy" you mention, Ming, but it could be!

So, are you saying that walking people should not be permitted to run, then? cos running is faster than walking pace.

I think that the scootas are big enough to see...

starsparkle I cannot vouch for companies that sell scootas, (especially the more fly-by-night ones that advertise in the back of magazines;- the ones that are just interested in grubbing as much money out of people who have mobility difficulties) but at ShopMobility, in Sheffield, before a client is permitted to register, and take a scoota out, we check that they can see well enough to drive the scoota. We also take them through a H&S familiarisation session, where we teach them safe handling and driving of the scoota. This includes how to steer safely, caution when going past doorways and round corners, and safety about the speed control.

We do not let a customer out on the scoota, until the customer is confident, and we are confident that the customer is confident about handling the scoota.

Glad to hear it, Plain Talker :thumbsup: - thanks for the information. It's just that SOME scoota drivers do seem a bit reckless SOMETIMES, and can seem a bit of a potential danger to themselves and others. No offence intended to anyone.

StarSparkle

some can be a menace, they should be licensed to drive them although id expect most would fail.

i was cycling home up chesterfield rd near meadowhead the other day and there was a parked car so ive slowed down and checked there isnt any cars behind me / that they have noticed me so i can pass it, as i pass an old bid on her mobility scooter comes from the other side of the car (on the wrong side of the road) at 8mph causing me to have to swerve to avoid her and nasty accident putting me in the other side of the road which was luckily clear.

being low down you cant see them when they are behind a car and for some unknown reason they havent a clue about how to go about on roads

surely this woman would be better in sheltered accomadation. or are we getting a step closer to euthanasia by giving them scooters

A scoota is probably something Eminem might ride or a hip hop artist, others ride scooters if they are dumb enough.

actually, a scootA is named so to differentiate it as a Mobility Scoota, rather than the two-wheeled things kids and wannabe skateboarders ride.

Archived