Fed up of OAPs on mobility scooters!

Chew

I wish I could get my mother to use one. I have just been to CP's with her to get her out of the house and because she suffers from COPD, she walks 25 yards and has to stop for 10 mins.

So as we walk past Lloyds pharmacy I notice a nice mobility scooter, packs up to fit in the boot of the car. Good price, 2 year guarantee, Full training etc, etc.

I say's "lets have a look at that scooter, that's what you need". She replies "I'm not using one of those, people will think I'm a cripple". I said "mother" "your'e 82, you can't walk, can't breath, you are a cripple" (sorry if the term cripple offends anyone,I don't normally use the term, I am using it in the vernacular ((no, not a railway in switzerland)). .) . The only thing she can do is see, as she's just had her cataracts done. In fact she can see like a hawk now, spectacles have gone in the bin.

Anyway, I am going to persevere. Nobody should have to spend what's left of there life, stuck in the house watching QVC and other such crap just because they wont make the effort due to their pride.

So to all of you out there who who think they should - watch out theres another one coming.

• 6 years later...

We was going to start a new thread on this subject but we kindly see one has already been done:D

The question is how did people cope before mobility scooters ?

Like most people have said they seem to be everywhere, we have no problems with people using them who have a real need for them, but Sheffield City Centre is now looking like a Silverstone for mobility scooters :o

God help you if your on the wrong side of the footpath when some old biddy comes steaming down, just because they have driven a Morris Minor in Sheffield in 1961 does not give them the right to push their way though using bully tactics :mad:

Their should be some basic driving lessons before they are let loose on the footpaths

We was going to start a new thread on this subject but we kindly see one has already been done:D

The question is how did people cope before mobility scooters ?

Like most people have said they seem to be everywhere, we have no problems with people using them who have a real need for them, but Sheffield City Centre is now looking like a Silverstone for mobility scooters :o

God help you if your on the wrong side of the footpath when some old biddy comes steaming down, just because they have driven a Morris Minor in Sheffield in 1961 does not give them the right to push their way though using bully tactics :mad:

Their should be some basic driving lessons before they are let loose on the footpaths

GoldWings.

I have to say I have every sympathy with pedestrians, but ask the people in the scooter if they'd be rather walking, they'll say yes. I have and use one, I can walk short distances but if we go shopping and such I use my scooter, that is due to the fact that I need it as I tire easily.

Would I rather not have one, yes, but that's life I've got one & I use it, think of the prats with cars that park them so far onto the pavement that scooters have to go into he road to bypass them, now that's bloody inconsiderate.

I have to say I have every sympathy with pedestrians, but ask the people in the scooter if they'd be rather walking, they'll say yes. I have and use one, I can walk short distances but if we go shopping and such I use my scooter, that is due to the fact that I need it as I tire easily.

Would I rather not have one, yes, but that's life I've got one & I use it, think of the prats with cars that park them so far onto the pavement that scooters have to go into he road to bypass them, now that's bloody inconsiderate.

There are genuine people that need scooters, and there is a lot more sympathy and attention seekers buying them, hence the silly rise in numbers causing the problems.:suspect:

There are genuine people that need scooters, and there is a lot more sympathy and attention seekers buying them, hence the silly rise in numbers causing the problems.:suspect:

It's a bit cruel to call the attention seekers, plus the scooters are not cheap as I have found out being disabled is bloody a lot more expensive.

As a scooter user I have to defend the disabled that are lucky enough to have a scooter. I am lucky enough to have two, a large one 8mph top speed, 4 mph on footpaths which is the LAW. My second one is a small foldable up jobby which fits in the boot of a car, ideal for shopping, max speed 4mph.

The law as it stands allows all the scooter family, class 1, class 2 and class 3 to be used without road tax and indeed without insurance. On a personal note, my insurance for the large scooter costs £70 per year and like car insurance covers all. Insurance for scooters ought to be mandatory I think, as for road tax to be made mandatory, not so sure about that.

As for the able boddied scooter haters on here, I have a little saying that I hope does NOT come true, I was like you one day, one day you may end up like me - think on this next time a scooter annoys you in some way. I would love to be able to walk without pain and be able to jump out of the way.

Angel.

It's a bit cruel to call the attention seekers, plus the scooters are not cheap as I have found out being disabled is bloody a lot more expensive.

If you read my post correctly, I said there ARE genuine users, now take a trip to Spec Savers.:hihi:

Archived