Fed up of OAPs on mobility scooters!

Chew

I completely agree that untrained scoota drivers can be a total menace.

That's why ShopMobility's Health and Safety policy, including adequate scoota training, is in place. We have a duty of care to the scoota-user, and also to the public at large. what we DON'T want is a client bowling the public over, sending them flying like ninepins!!!

Unfortunately, what I have found, when I go to meetings, representing the charity, is that folk seem to assume that all the scootas are supplied through us! (shock-horror) and we take the flak for the privately-bought/ -owned ones on the road.

See my comments here ^^^

I'v just come through GreenHill and seen an OAP on a mobilaty scooter. So? you might say, but this old geezer was on the roundabout going the wrong way, with a dog on a lead attached to the scooter. How F*****g stupid can you get?

I know the old chap may need the scooter, but that's no excuse for goin the wrong way round a roundabout, especily with a dog on a lead in the middel of the road. What if the dog had been run over? He would have been so p****d off.

I work at tesco on abbydale road, and every day this old man burns rubber on his scooter, ( it's fast ) he parks up in the store, locks it up then walks so fast round the store it unbeliveable.

DO THEY REALY NEED THE SCOOTERS? :huh:

I've been wondering about getting one as I can't walk far. I can manage the shops, or the walk to them, but not both. I've been stuck a couple of times unable to make the walk home. It was only thanks to a neighbour giving me a lift that I didn't need to call a taxi for a couple of hundred yards.

Yet I have no visable disability, and I can imagine the looks if I rode to the shops, parked up, and then walked round the shops normally....

People really do make assumptions.

I do agree though, that people using scooters need to apply road sense and safety or they are going to be a danger to themselves and others.

GoldWings.

I have to say I have every sympathy with pedestrians, but ask the people in the scooter if they'd be rather walking, they'll say yes. I have and use one, I can walk short distances but if we go shopping and such I use my scooter, that is due to the fact that I need it as I tire easily.

Would I rather not have one, yes, but that's life I've got one & I use it, think of the prats with cars that park them so far onto the pavement that scooters have to go into he road to bypass them, now that's bloody inconsiderate.

GoldWings aren't that bad you know!

I've got a K1200LT (yes, I know the 'LT' bit stands for 'Light Truck' but it is a bit better than a GoldWing.

Would I rather walk or ride my K12?

Do they let you out from Forest Lodge on your own?

I've been wondering about getting one as I can't walk far. I can manage the shops, or the walk to them, but not both. I've been stuck a couple of times unable to make the walk home. It was only thanks to a neighbour giving me a lift that I didn't need to call a taxi for a couple of hundred yards.

Yet I have no visable disability, and I can imagine the looks if I rode to the shops, parked up, and then walked round the shops normally....

People really do make assumptions.

I do agree though, that people using scooters need to apply road sense and safety or they are going to be a danger to themselves and others.

Where I live, people use golf carts to get around. My golf cart is a 4-seater, does about 20mph, is not 'road legal' (so I can only use it on the pavement.)

If I wanted to go to the supermarket (about 5 miles away) (I can't imagine why I might want to go there ... but let's assume I did) I would use my golf cart. It's insured (that costs me ten pounds a year!) The county would prefer me to use a golf cart (low emissions - the elecktrickery comes from the new, cooler power station.)

Should I choose not to use the golf cart, I could use the car - but over such a short journey I'd get 20mpg (if I was lucky.)

I could walk. 5 miles there, 5 miles back. It's going to be fairly cool today (no more than 30 degrees) so I'll walk provided you'll walk with me.

Golf carts are a perfectly acceptable means of transportation here. If there are cyclists (early in the morning) or pedestrians (usually late in the afternoon) you drive the cart off the path out of their way. A bit of 'tolerance for other road users' goes a long way - and unlike in the UK, tolerance for other road users is the norm (as it is in Germany)

My wife is acutely disabled and she has a 'blue badge'. When I drive her to the shops I usually drop her off and then park the car in a cripple slot - quite legally.

Occasionally I am 'accosted' by nosey parkers who demand to know the details of my disability. I am pleased to explain it.

"I'm a fu&**% Touretter and I get fu&**% aggressive when people Pi88 me off". I don't know whether my accent helps or whether the Floridians are naturally friendly, but my explanation usually seems to work.;)

American drivers are ordinarily not very skilfull and I'm not so sure that the golf cart or mobility scooter drivers are that much better, but (for some reason) they don't seem to run into Pedestrians as often as do the morons who run around on those little electric 'hot wheels' in Sheffield.

Why is that? Are the people who ride those things in Sheffield totally incompetent?

Do they need to be sued a bit more often? - If you run into somebody here on one of those silly little buggies, you will be sued ... and the shop which provided it won't pay.

If you read my post correctly, I said there ARE genuine users, now take a trip to Spec Savers.:hihi:

Oh I did read your post correctly, perhaps there may be non genuine users but my point was why, when they cost so much money to buy. I don't need to visit any opticians, but I've noticed that you have a very lets say; rude/confrontational way of posting & I can see why you have so many arguments on here.

No one is a font of all knowledge, but you seem to have appointed yourself as one, have a nice day.

Oh I did read your post correctly, perhaps there may be non genuine users but my point was why, when they cost so much money to buy. I don't need to visit any opticians, but I've noticed that you have a very lets say; rude/confrontational way of posting & I can see why you have so many arguments on here.

No one is a font of all knowledge, but you seem to have appointed yourself as one, have a nice day.

Well my point was some users are not genuine. There you go, I wasn't being confrontational.

Archived