Rowlinson School 1976-81

shaz123

My dad and uncle went to Rowlinson from 1971-1976. Chris and Russell Hartley? And my mum went to Gleadless Valley from 1971-1976 Janet Marshall she was called then. Anybody know any of them?

I remember both of them - i was in the same school year - what do they do now & where?

I'm one of the unfortunates who was in Seaton's form 'C' from 1976-81 - directly after you and wolfstalin, I guess! It was a miserable experience. He used to administer his punishments in his office whilst listening to The Rolling Stones, and the rest of us were at our desks outside listening. The girls all thought he was horribly creepy & we did our best not to attract his attention.

I was always amazed that he could be Head of Languages but only had A levels and a PGCE. It seems incomprehensible now. He had absolutely no teaching skills or rapport with the kids. How did he get away with it for so long?

I remember being in a Fabric craft lesson with the girls in the 1st or 2nd year. There was a screen up in the open plan room so that no-one could see us girls getting changed into the clothes we had been making, mostly blouses. In bounds Seaton, oblivious to our modesty and screams. The fabric-craft teacher just about exploded with anger at his arrogance. His reply, "Don't worry, I have a daughter myself." :rant:

In spite of this I had a mostly good education at Rolo. One thing I remember is that there was never any bullying between pupils. We were more of a camaraderie. Not like schools today and my own experience of my son's secondary school (in Oxon). My best teachers at Rolo were the language, English and History teachers - Miss Gilmore/Mrs Brown, Mr Howard, Mr Wood, Mr Tweedy, Mr Brown, Miss Parsons. I was sad to learn that Janice Hambling/Pickering/Stokes had died so early. She was a strict but fair teacher, knew her stuff really well, and had the most amazing set of lashes!

i had seaton for french - until that i was top of the year - i failed miserably in his group - what a lazy arrogant good for nothing ****** he was.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow what a read.

I went to Rowlinson from 1976 to 1978 form 4,5 and lower 6th before returning to live in Australia.

Mr Holmes was my Form Tutor.

It has been good reading what's been happening and what people remember from those years.

One event that springs to mind is a day trip we went on. I think it was for end of year, we were late back as we stopped off at a pub and we were greeted by a not so happy Principle on our return. Killer Holmes had some fast talking to do lol.

My reports were far from favourable on the most part, so yea would have to agree that we were some what allowed to run a muck. That being said it has not affected me as far as work goes.

I will keep popping in to read.

Thanks for the memories.

Tricia