Turner's Quadruple Action Pump.

Hallo , I am attempting to restore a brass air pump manufactured by the now defunct firm of William Turner , Pneumatic Engineers , Eyre Works , Sheffield. Whilst I am reasonably sure that I have the complete "innards", I would very much like to get hold of an illustration of the pump.

Sheffield Public Library has kindly supplied some information concerning William Turner's firm and its history up to the time in the 1960s when it was amalgamated into Cape Asbestos and the trade mark "Renrut" was changed to "Kismet". I understand that a very successful footpump , the "Kismet Duplex" , was a later product of the company , and is somehting that I should like to get my hands on if at all possible.

There must have been quite a lot of the Quadruple Action pumps imported into Australia for I have been able to get hold of two recently - using parts from both . It seems strange that more is not known of the firm and its fine products : for instance , the Duplex pump could manage 600 psi , and pilots of Spitfires in the last war were supplied with one for emergency use to recharge their compressed air bottles and thus be able to take to the air again ( and fire their guns , which also needed a charged bottle).

I am hoping that this may be spotted by a one-time employee of the firm who can perhaps supply some info. Although here in Australia , I am a Londoner by birth , and though from the South , the words "Sheffield Made"makes my proud of my country.

In hpoes , sincerely , Bill Axten , Fremantle , W.Australia.

• 13 years later...

Hi Axten. I may be totally wrong here but were William Turner taken over by Pneumatic Components Limited (PCL) ? The company used to be on Eyre Street but are now located at Holbrook Sheffield. Perhaps they may have an Archive ?