Matalan and their stupid card

Think its something to do with, they can offer better deals as some sort of 'club'. To be part of the club you have to have the club card.

I think originally you had to belong to particular 'signed up' companys and proved it by showing the header off your payslip

When I first joined back in 1992 you had to pay £1 for your card and show a recent payslip as proof of employment (how discrimanitive is that!) and you had your photo taken and the mini image was then transferred to the card (bit like my gym card to date) !!

I still have my original card and lots of staff at Matalan comment on it when I hand it over as they have never seen an issued card with a photo on!!!! :confused:

Anyway, I am glad the era of carrying cards is now beginning to die out and I hope more stores cease issuing them - they are so annoying!!

There have been, however, some notable exceptions. The discount retailer Matalan was forced to drop its policy of only allowing customers to shop with them if they filled in a membership form that tied them into receiving communications. A spokeswoman told me today that this was to ensure "that Matalan did not break the law".

The store does still offer membership cards and while consumers do not have to sign-up for one, they are automatically presented one at the checkout. The spokeswoman was unable to confirm if the current practice was in accordance with the EU directive.

The Times

Originally, they only issued cards to companies, and the employees of that company could use their employer's card to shop there. Then they opened it up, but everyone had to pay £1 for their card....now it's free. I've had a card for years, and can't say that I've ever had any extra junk mail ~ the only thing I was sent is their catalogue every now and again, but I can't remember having one of those for ages.

Originally, they only issued cards to companies, and the employees of that company could use their employer's card to shop there. Then they opened it up, but everyone had to pay £1 for their card....now it's free. I've had a card for years, and can't say that I've ever had any extra junk mail ~ the only thing I was sent is their catalogue every now and again, but I can't remember having one of those for ages.

So if they're not using it for sending marketing materials, why do they need this information?

There have been, however, some notable exceptions. The discount retailer Matalan was forced to drop its policy of only allowing customers to shop with them if they filled in a membership form that tied them into receiving communications. A spokeswoman told me today that this was to ensure "that Matalan did not break the law".

The store does still offer membership cards and while consumers do not have to sign-up for one, they are automatically presented one at the checkout. The spokeswoman was unable to confirm if the current practice was in accordance with the EU directive.

The Times

Thanks for this - it's very interesting. So it looks like I am perfectly within my right to refuse a card and still shop there. I have emailed Matalan on this now. Their staff should not be telling customers that a card is compulsory when this is clearly not the case.