Matalan and their stupid card

I got told at Parkgate the last time I went in, that any offers i.e. £10 each or 2 for £18, would only be taken off once your card had been swiped in. This apparantly was a new rule, as in the past the savings came off as soon as they were scanned in, but now it's at the end of the transaction. a bit like Somerfields if you don't have a card you don't get the special offers.

Funny thing a couple of years ago my other half had her handbag stolen from her workplace it was handed into a police station a week later apart from the small amount of cash & mobile phone the only other thing stolen was the Matalan Card!

Weird

You get a mailer every so often with our new range in it.

At different times of year (eg. Christmas) you get £5 vouchers.

I have had a card for years but get very few mailers from them nowadays and I have never had any vouchers from them.

I got told at Parkgate the last time I went in, that any offers i.e. £10 each or 2 for £18, would only be taken off once your card had been swiped in. This apparantly was a new rule, as in the past the savings came off as soon as they were scanned in, but now it's at the end of the transaction. a bit like Somerfields if you don't have a card you don't get the special offers.

Somerfield scrapped their card ages ago - I think it annoyed too many people that they couldn't get the discounts if they didn't sign up for a card.

• 7 years later...

Looks like their back to their old tricks again. Staff at the Matalan at the Heeley retail park refused to allow me to complete my purchase unless I signed up for their member card. I'm not a big fan of these types of cards but I definately don't like being bullied into handing over my personal info. Don't think it's worth the hassle shopping there any more.

Looks like their back to their old tricks again. Staff at the Matalan at the Heeley retail park refused to allow me to complete my purchase unless I signed up for their member card. I'm not a big fan of these types of cards but I definately don't like being bullied into handing over my personal info. Don't think it's worth the hassle shopping there any more.

How can any business turn down peoples good money?

The mind boggles.

Making a small cash purchase from a store selling baby/child goods, I was asked for my address. I walked out and obtained the product at another store. If Matalan has brought this card business back in, it would soon be stopped if customers did the same.

To my knowledge yes they do insist you have a card at least that is what I told told what I first went to shop there - I also had to pay £1 for that card, which I believe is now free.

They asked me to pay £1. I left the goods on the counter and never went back. That was Heeley retail park.