Sheffield Dog Track

I knew a guy called Ted Beer, he had a scrap tyre business near the Hyde Park track, he used to give me tips and they were always winners. Actually he gave me three, two on dogs at Hyde Park, and a tip on a horse at, I think it was Wincanton. I think Hyde Park was what they called a 'flapper track'.

Yes, there were once three tracks in Sheffield, Hyde Park which was not-regulated (flapping track) and two licensed NGRA tracks at Owlerton and Darnall.

OK, got to ask! What on earth is a flapping track?

It operates under its own regulations and is unlicensed by the authorities.

I am not able to say why it is called as such but I think it's been said many times before, it offered scope for a good fiddle.

A licensed track has passports, urine testing and is well-regulated. A flapping track could well have 'ringers'. dogs been put forward as something else etc. One such ruse for stopping dogs was allegedly putting a sheet of formica on the trap floor so that the dog couldn't break quickly from the trap!

You had to be 'in the know' more than ever, at a flapping track!

"Although the best of the Flapping tracks have a resident vet and are similar to a NGRC track - many are not. The flapping track trainers are mostly owners who have a dog or two in the backyard. The vast majority of flapping tracks are in the north of the UK and the vast majority of abandoned greyhounds are also found in the north. I firmly believe that it would be better if all tracks ran under NGRC rules. There are of course bad owners and trainers in the NGRC system but they are in the minority." http://homepage.ntlworld.com/greyhounds/race.htm

• 7 months later...
Can anyone remember the Club at the Dog Track..it used to have some great nights entertainment..bands playing untill midnight sometimes..some of the residents of Hyde Park complained of the noise but I didn't co's I was usually enjoying myself inside the Club

you probably met my dad ted he was on the door

Archived