Sheffield's After-Hours Scene

AndyCrackers

Plug has drinks license til 6am

Is there a last entry time though? Can I get in at 2/3am?

I don't want this to turn into a people vs council thread, I'm just trying to ascertain what (if anything) is stopping Sheffield catching up with other major cities in it's attitude towards nightlife.

As Rossian said, I'm talking about club nights that start well after midnight and run through until 7/8am.

uniq bar/club has a licence to 6am

What kind of music/crowd does Uniq have? Does it do well? I've never been of a weekend.

But what is the council's attitude towards late licenses.

Does the council want Sheffield to become a 24-hour city?

The council welcomes a vibrant city centre, and recognises that the so-called 'night time economy' (i.e., pubs, clubs, bars, theatres, etc.) plays an important part in this development.

I cannot see why so called councillors can have so much power to decide what we all want. What gives them the right to dictate the rules when they have been elected by in a majority of cases a minority of the electorate. I am not against rules as such, But there must be a better way of the selection of those who make the rules. the present bunch of councillors and the ones that came before without a doubt are complete buffoons (and thats being polite) let the market place decide when and where to open

The council is now the licensing authority, following the implementation of the Licensing Act 2003, which came into force late last year. Prior to that, the magistrates court determined alcohol licenses. The change was brought about by the government, not the council.

Councils are the more appropriate licensing authority than the magistrates court. There are 15 councillors who form the Licensing Board, but only 3 can sit on any Licensing Act 2003 application to hear objections. The current Licensing Board consists of 8 Labour, 7 Lib-Dems and 1 Conservative member.

The Board only meets to hear objections. If there are no objections from any of the statutory agencies or local people, then the application (for a new license or a variation of an existing license) is automatically granted.

As a member of the council's Licensing Board, I don't think so.

Every licensed premise had to seek transitional arrangements under the new Licensing Act 2003 by last Autumn, and that included an opportunity to seek a variation in their opening hours. Unless there was an objection, all such transitional applications for a new license were granted automatically - which is what happened in the vast majority of cases.

The Licensing Board meets to resolve objections to license applications. Only statutory agencies (e.g., police, fire service, environmental health, child protection board) and local people can object to a variation in opening hours. The council itself is not permitted in law to be an objector.

I recall a number of cases where there had been objections to a later license, and the Licensing Board granted the applications. Equally, the Licensing Board upheld a number of objections, and refused to grant a later license. All objections were determined on a case by case basis.

Transitional arrangements under the new law are now at an end. It is now up to an applicant to seek a new license or a variation of an existing license. These are advertised, and, unless there is an objection received, are automatically granted.

Firstly as a member of the council, i think there are a lot of issues that can be said relating to this topic. Why is Sheffield so backward full stop........

i can agree in certain aspects that sheffield is not ready for late licensing due to the economy. but i can guarantee you that if there was a media outlet, ie professional dance radio station that represented the dance music scene in sheffield the whole nightclub scene would be thriving in sheffield as it was 10 years ago. if you only knew how many people migrate to other cities because the whole scene in Sheffield is DRY. do not try to tell me any different. i am a dj that is playing weekly and monthly in london, sheffield, newcastle, chesterfield, barnsley, manchester, leeds and i meet a lot of sheffield people on my travels, its frightening.

but i can guarantee you that if there was a media outlet, ie professional dance radio station that represented the dance music scene in sheffield

u have galaxy 105 - which althought a bit heavily weighted in Leeds favour, does still cater for Sheffield.

hallam fm is also a bit clubby on weekend evenings.

but yeh, i dj around the north of england too, and do notice a lot of sheffield folk in other cities..

:hihi:

u have galaxy 105 - which althought a bit heavily weighted in Leeds favour, does still cater for Sheffield.

hallam fm is also a bit clubby on weekend evenings.

but yeh, i dj around the north of england too, and do notice a lot of sheffield folk in other cities..

:hihi:

ON WHAT GROUNDS DOES GALAXY REPRESENT THE INDUSTRIAL CITY OF SHEFFIELD. THIS CITY CAN BE PROUD OF ITS TALENTED DJS AND PRODUCERS BUT THERE IS NO SUPPORTFOR THEM. WHICH SHEFFIELD DJ PLAYS ON GALAXY, I THINK NICK RILEY BUT HE IS AN EX STUDENT PLAYING HARD TRANCE. GALAXY ARE GOOD AT ONE THING AND THAT IS CHEESE FARM AND CREATING THE SCENE THAT WE HAVE RIGHT NOW. IF KISS FM / OR CHOICE FM WAS TO COME NOW WITH ITS LONDON MUSIC POLICY, THEY WOULD SERIOUSLY CREAM UP THE MARKET OF 13 - 40.

Archived