Sheffield's After-Hours Scene

AndyCrackers

ON WHAT GROUNDS DOES GALAXY REPRESENT THE INDUSTRIAL CITY OF SHEFFIELD. THIS CITY CAN BE PROUD OF ITS TALENTED DJS AND PRODUCERS BUT THERE IS NO SUPPORTFOR THEM. WHICH SHEFFIELD DJ PLAYS ON GALAXY, I THINK NICK RILEY BUT HE IS AN EX STUDENT PLAYING HARD TRANCE. GALAXY ARE GOOD AT ONE THING AND THAT IS CHEESE FARM AND CREATING THE SCENE THAT WE HAVE RIGHT NOW. IF KISS FM / OR CHOICE FM WAS TO COME NOW WITH ITS LONDON MUSIC POLICY, THEY WOULD SERIOUSLY CREAM UP THE MARKET OF 13 - 40.

galaxy is THE regional dance station for yorkshire, believe it or not, sheffield is in yorkshire :suspect:

and kiss wouldnt come to sheff, considering hallam is part of the same company xx:thumbsup:

Urgent attention should be placed on improving Sheffield's nightlife.

As dj4321 suggested, Sheffield's clubscene was thriving 10 years ago.

Where did it all go wrong?

We had Love2be, Trash, Rise etc etc - all going on at the same time.

It's true that people are travelling out of town - or just staying in!

It's an embarrasment for a city of this size.

Having said that Plug, Hustle, Pinup etc are contributing a lot, but it just doesn't feel enough.

Fair enough, the club scene has dropped off in recent times but there is obviously a market for clubs opening later looking at other large cities.

Fair enough, the club scene has dropped off in recent times but there is obviously a market for clubs opening later looking at other large cities.

I disagree, I think the club scene in Sheffield has improved no end over the last couple of years! Its got a long way to go to catch up with Leeds but its much better than it was 2 years ago.

I disagree, I think the club scene in Sheffield has improved no end over the last couple of years! Its got a long way to go to catch up with Leeds but its much better than it was 2 years ago.

Maybe so, but nothing on the scale of the early 90's.

Leeds isn't really any better, they just have more later licenses.

Sheffield's club scene is probably more diverse than Leeds is.

Is there even demand for such a club night?!

Would you be up for staying out a bit later? Or do you prefer to be tucked in bed come 3am?

Maybe a lack of demand is why there is a lack of after-hours options?

at the earl, on certain nights we get a crowd rush round 1230-1am when other outlets are closing, but then again we have to kick everyone out at 2am.

there is a demand, and more often than not we get people ambling up on foot or in taxis at all hours of the night thinking there's something going on when there's not.

we would certainly like to be open until 4am or 6am, but all legal advice obtained seems to indicate that it's going to a losing battle for us trying to obtain planning approval. (that's the step needed before it even gets to licensing).

Firstly as a member of the council, i think there are a lot of issues that can be said relating to this topic. Why is Sheffield so backward full stop........

i can agree in certain aspects that sheffield is not ready for late licensing due to the economy. but i can guarantee you that if there was a media outlet, ie professional dance radio station that represented the dance music scene in sheffield the whole nightclub scene would be thriving in sheffield as it was 10 years ago. if you only knew how many people migrate to other cities because the whole scene in Sheffield is DRY. do not try to tell me any different. i am a dj that is playing weekly and monthly in london, sheffield, newcastle, chesterfield, barnsley, manchester, leeds and i meet a lot of sheffield people on my travels, its frightening.

The council is not a dance promoter, or in the business of running pubs or night clubs. If any existing or new promoter wants to operate a late license, they are free to apply for the necessary license. Unless there are objections, this will be automatically granted. However, as bigbear points out, you may additionally first need to apply to vary any existing planning

conditions relating to opening hours.

However, as bigbear points out, you may additionally first need to apply to vary any existing planning

conditions relating to opening hours.

in our case, it's quite bizarre.

there are zero residential properties around that might be affected by any general issues (noise, disorder etc etc).

however, it appears that council has given planning approval to the owner of an adjacent car park to build student housing.

i don't quite understand how council can allow this seeing that it's next to a venue that has a 7am to 2am regulated entertainment licence.

due to this planning approval (which the owner of the car park land is trying to use to increase his land sale price), we have been advised that the owner _will_ object to any change in hours that we request, and that council will tend to accept the objection.

it's such a silly thing to do, to stifle one of the few outlets around that genuinely try to encourage different non-mainstream promotors.

(and one which the authorities seem to agree that have near-zero disorder and noise issues despite such late opening hours)

but i guess that's our lot in life, hence why we're now focussing on our other outlets in city center, much to the detriment of the late-night culture in sheffield.

after hours in sheffield doesnt take palce much anymore for one reason, and one reason alone...INSOMNIACZ.... crickey minge that was a quality after hours messy club, but oh so messy.

coming out of there at 12noon on a sunday after 24hours of partying problem sent the council doolally! *shudders* just thinking about it....i got into some rite states way back when!

in our case, it's quite bizarre.

there are zero residential properties around that might be affected by any general issues (noise, disorder etc etc).

however, it appears that council has given planning approval to the owner of an adjacent car park to build student housing.

i don't quite understand how council can allow this seeing that it's next to a venue that has a 7am to 2am regulated entertainment licence.

due to this planning approval (which the owner of the car park land is trying to use to increase his land sale price), we have been advised that the owner _will_ object to any change in hours that we request, and that council will tend to accept the objection.

it's such a silly thing to do, to stifle one of the few outlets around that genuinely try to encourage different non-mainstream promotors.

(and one which the authorities seem to agree that have near-zero disorder and noise issues despite such late opening hours)

but i guess that's our lot in life, hence why we're now focussing on our other outlets in city center, much to the detriment of the late-night culture in sheffield.

I don't live too far away from The Earl. There are so few residential properties nearby as you say (mainly Myrtle Road, Queens Road - and they are on busy roads with lots of traffic noise). I can't comment about Planning Board matters - I confess to not having the necessary knowledge, and have never sat on a Planning Board.

However, just because adjacent land has outline planning permission for redevelopoment doesn't necessarily mean that it will definitely be developed for intended student accommodation? I'm actually meeting a planning officer tomorrow morning to disuss a planning issue in my ward. I'll ask him for his opinion bigbear.

IF KISS FM / OR CHOICE FM WAS TO COME NOW WITH ITS LONDON MUSIC POLICY, THEY WOULD SERIOUSLY CREAM UP THE MARKET OF 13 - 40.

Which version of Kiss? Kiss100 is rebranding tomorrow (wed) after they've decided the urban isn't doing that well and are bringing in more dance + new DJs. Including the worlds most rubbish logo! http://www.totalkiss.com

We used to have a really good dance music station Vibe FM in East Anglia. As from 7am wednesday it is officially Kiss 105 :( Out go the local presenters, in comes networked programmes from London.

Archived