Sheffield's After-Hours Scene

AndyCrackers

So it seems that it's not a lack of demand, nor even objections from the licensing board that are stifling Sheffield's night time economym, rather it is the people who decide a venue's planning conditions. :suspect:

Can anyone shed some light on why these people seem intent on hindering Sheffield's progress? :loopy:

Maybe not enough venues have expressed an interest in extending their hours (although I would find this hard to believe).

... if there was a media outlet, ie professional dance radio station that represented the dance music scene in sheffield the whole nightclub scene would be thriving in sheffield...

I agree with what you're saying there.

If there was a Sheffield focused radio station that embraced the local scene and focused on local talent it would help Sheffield's nightlife.

Homegrown DJs presenting shows could build up their profile as too could local clubs and events.

It's a different subject all together though, I'm sure there are many factors dictating whether such a station would be economically viable.

So it seems that it's not a lack of demand, nor even objections from the licensing board that are stifling Sheffield's night time economym, rather it is the people who decide a venue's planning conditions. :suspect:

Can anyone shed some light on why these people seem intent on hindering Sheffield's progress? :loopy:

Maybe not enough venues have expressed an interest in extending their hours (although I would find this hard to believe).

It may have been a typo on your part, but just to clarify.... the Licensing Board does not make objections, it hears other peoples objections.

Also, most licensed premises do not have any planning stipulations. {However, hot food outlets, which must also now be licensed if they sell hot food after 23.00hrs., are usually subject to planning stipulations - to avoid noise and nuisance issues arising}.

It is entirely up to licensees to apply for a variation in opening hours. If a venue wants to stay open longer, they now have to apply for a variation in their existing license. Under the transitional arrangements last year, when the licensing passed from the magistrates court to the council's Licensing Board, any pub or club could have applied for a 24 hour license if they wished, and if there was no objection, it would have been granted automatically. Most license transfers were in fact granted automatically simply because there were no objections.

If AndyCrackers can't find the late opening bars, pubs or clubs in the city that he desires, it's more likely that there wasn't an application made under the transitional arrangements last year to stay open that long.

Incidentally, only an exceptional few objections were upheld in their entirety. Most applications for later opening hours where objections were received, were granted in full or part.

Under the transitional arrangements last year, when the licensing passed from the magistrates court to the council's Licensing Board, any pub or club could have applied for a 24 hour license if they wished, and if there was no objection, it would have been granted automatically. Most license transfers were in fact granted automatically simply because there were no objections.

that's not entirely true.

when we submitted our Part B last august, we wanted to vary it to 6am, but was advised that planning approval had to be obtained prior.

since planning approval can take from six weeks to six months, the advice we were given was _not_ to seek a variation (seeing we already had a 2am licence) since planning approval had not yet been sought.

the timing of the application meant that we could be taking a dice throw on Part B variation if we submitted planning approval.

so we basically took a hit on it and just submitted a conversion with no variation.

now that we have established Fez and Pravda (aka Sutra), i'm now looking at the process of getting planning approval done, hopefully with some good news from the planning folks soon.

It may have been a typo on your part, but just to clarify.... the Licensing Board does not make objections, it hears other peoples objections.

Apologies for the confusion!

So basically now the transitional period has come to an end, anyone at any time can appply for a varitaion in opening hours?

It seems mad that so few venues have requested a variation!

Ah well, thanks for all the info people :thumbsup:

Firstly as a member of the council, i think there are a lot of issues that can be said relating to this topic. Why is Sheffield so backward full stop........

i can agree in certain aspects that sheffield is not ready for late licensing due to the economy. but i can guarantee you that if there was a media outlet, ie professional dance radio station that represented the dance music scene in sheffield the whole nightclub scene would be thriving in sheffield as it was 10 years ago. if you only knew how many people migrate to other cities because the whole scene in Sheffield is DRY. do not try to tell me any different. i am a dj that is playing weekly and monthly in london, sheffield, newcastle, chesterfield, barnsley, manchester, leeds and i meet a lot of sheffield people on my travels, its frightening.

Absolutely on the dollar....I see Sheffield people everywhere when playing outside the city.

Interestingly I have noticed over the last 12 months that people are not only appearing in clubs later and later but they want to party til much later too. Dare I say just like in Barcelona, Ibiza etc

So basically now the transitional period has come to an end, anyone at any time can appply for a varitaion in opening hours?

It seems mad that so few venues have requested a variation!

anyone at any time can apply for a variation in opening hours, _subject_ to planning approval. planning approval is not a function of the licensing board.

to extend this further, _ANYONE_ can apply for _ANY PLACE_ to be a club/pub to open for _ANY HOURS_. i would highly doubt planning approval would be granted though.

Archived