Sheffield's After-Hours Scene

AndyCrackers

that's not entirely true.

when we submitted our Part B last august, we wanted to vary it to 6am, but was advised that planning approval had to be obtained prior.

since planning approval can take from six weeks to six months, the advice we were given was _not_ to seek a variation (seeing we already had a 2am licence) since planning approval had not yet been sought.

the timing of the application meant that we could be taking a dice throw on Part B variation if we submitted planning approval.

so we basically took a hit on it and just submitted a conversion with no variation.

now that we have established Fez and Pravda (aka Sutra), i'm now looking at the process of getting planning approval done, hopefully with some good news from the planning folks soon.

I am sending you a PM

Red

i think what hasn't been touched upon is the fact that quite honestly there aren't enough decent venues in sheffield for decent club nights.

plug is a decent venue but a bit impersonal and it needs lots of people to generate a good atmosphere

praavda is a great venue but seems to be underused quite badly. apart from lovedust what happens there?

fez is excellent no issues with it

earl is good but a bit out of the way

GC is too big and is too corporate

takapuna is a bar not a club

dq is getting there and will soon be a force to be reckoned with

harley is a bar

matrix has potential to be brilliant but needs a refit to make it really work well but they do have quality nights and dj's

niche is niche

also whats happened to promotion? a few years ago you couldn't go anywhere at weekends without flyers everywhere saying what was on and it just doesn't happen anymore, promoters need to promote

also speaking from experience when it comes to breaking new dj talent sheffield is awful. its virtually impossible to get a break or a chance at an established night and its also virtually impossible to get a weekend night to put your own night on. therefore the scene stagnates because its the same old same old.

all that said sheffield does have some good nights if you take a look for them and is quite varied in what it does its just a question of searching for it.

i think what hasn't been touched upon is the fact that quite honestly there aren't enough decent venues in sheffield for decent club nights.

plug is a decent venue but a bit impersonal and it needs lots of people to generate a good atmosphere

praavda is a great venue but seems to be underused quite badly. apart from lovedust what happens there?

GC is too big and is too corporate

takapuna is a bar not a club

dq is getting there and will soon be a force to be reckoned with

harley is a bar

matrix has potential to be brilliant but needs a refit to make it really work well but they do have quality nights and dj's

niche is niche

also whats happened to promotion? a few years ago you couldn't go anywhere at weekends without flyers everywhere saying what was on and it just doesn't happen anymore, promoters need to promote

All true and hence why Bed was so successful.

anyone at any time can apply for a variation in opening hours, _subject_ to planning approval. planning approval is not a function of the licensing board.

to extend this further, _ANYONE_ can apply for _ANY PLACE_ to be a club/pub to open for _ANY HOURS_. i would highly doubt planning approval would be granted though.

It's a real shame.

Good luck with trying to vary your hours, hopefully that PM was good news! :bigsmile:

Good luck with trying to vary your hours, hopefully that PM was good news!

well it gives me just a little bit of motivation to just try one more time to get it extended to the early hours :)

it's difficult now that i am involved in 2 city center venues that can open until 5/6.

i'm trying to get enough management focus to get the impetus to get us to have the will to try for a 6am...

razor stiletto is there. if we can get it right, future funk might also be there this week.

the reality is that with a big venue you will commercial stuff to fill. this means in this current time window R'n'B, hip hop etc.

sounds strange, but something like Uprising would work well at Pravda, but alas Plug has now secured that.

thank you (re fez :))

we'll be trying to make the Earl the baby brother of Fez - if we get our way, Earl will become the 10pm to 6am _late_ _late_ night bar that Fez can't be in the city center.

we're tried running Fez to late but there traffic just isn't there.

i've made it a personal pet project of mine in next two months to see whether i can successfully get Fez to be run 7 days a week, late late...

thank you (re fez :))

we'll be trying to make the Earl the baby brother of Fez - if we get our way, Earl will become the 10pm to 6am _late_ _late_ night bar that Fez can't be in the city center.

we're tried running Fez to late but there traffic just isn't there.

i've made it a personal pet project of mine in next two months to see whether i can successfully get Fez to be run 7 days a week, late late...

its a damn shame that people aren't willing to go out of the centre for the earl, i've played there a few times these last couple of months and its a good little venue. biggest issue with it is that the windows need blacking out. dawn breaking just kills the atmosphere.

fez is a belting venue, one of the very few venues that is willing to allow new stuff and different nights so well done with that. i hope you keep doing good things with it.

on the rare occasions that I go out I like to stay out till its done.if you know what I mean, three times in the last month friday night seems to have died at 3am/4am, like previous poster said when your up for work on a fri morn you want to have some recuperation time before you go out in the evening thus your night out is the same legnth of hours but it needs to end later as you started later.

hotel bars are your only option it seems in sheffield at 5am and then your on the mercy of their staff.

Archived