Huge smoke plume 05.09.06 @ 6.55pm

bigflesh

Mod note:

foo_fighter, let's play nice eh? I've deleted his nasty comment and the follow-ups in case anyone's wondering.

I've also deleted a comment that was potentially libellous, so let's not have any of those either please.

Thanks.

We walked the dogs right down claywheels lane while it was happening, got a close as safely possible then walked up the hill to back hedge at fox hill and had a lovely view, dogs we knackered after there long walk!

Mod note:

foo_fighter, let's play nice eh? I've deleted his nasty comment and the follow-ups in case anyone's wondering.

I've also deleted a comment that was potentially libellous, so let's not have any of those either please.

Thanks.

I can guess what the potentially libellous comment was! The first thought that enters many heads when there’s a fire.

What exciting lives you lead in Sheffield! And just before Emmerdale too! In case you missed it, nothing much happened — again! And if you also missed EastEnders it ended with Billy’s new wife giving birth and mentioning the fact that her baby was ‘perfect’ — which means it won’t be, but she doesn’t know that yet. I’ve a feeling that her life with her new daughter is going to be an interesting story with the usual “if you’ve been affected by this story-line etc.” at the end of each forthcoming episode.

I've received the following confirmation opf the fire incident from Fire & Rescue Service at 07.46 today...

DATE: 05/09/06

TIME : 18:55

ADDRESS :UNION CARBIDE, CLAYWHEELS LANE, WADSLEY BRIDGE, SHEFFIELD

INCIDENT DESCRIPTION : DERELICT FACTORY INVOLVED IN FIRE, 8 PUMPS PLUS AERIAL LADDER PLATFORM PLUS INCIDENT SUPPORT UNIT AND OPERATIONAL SUPPORT UNIT

The Star have caught up quite quickly :)

Warehouse destroyed in inferno

MORE than 40 firefighters from across South Yorkshire tackled a huge blaze at a Sheffield warehouse last night after the building went up in flames.

Eyewitnesses reported hearing three loud explosions as a huge plume of thick black smoke billowed from the former Union Carbide Factory on Claywheels Lane, Wadsley Bridge.

A full investigation into the cause of the blaze was continuing this morning - and arson is not being ruled out. The warehouse is less than half a mile from Fletchers bakery which was ravaged by a huge fire in July. Flames leapt high into the air and could be seen licking at the building from city centre offices three miles away.

At its height the blaze was tackled by eight fire crews from stations in Sheffield and Rotherham.

Tony Meade, from Central Fire Station, who was in charge of tackling the flames, said "When crews arrived explosions were heard and roller shutter doors had bowed out caused by cylinders exploding against them.

"There was a problem with asbestos in the roof and walls because of the age of the building. The initial clouds of smoke could have caused health problems for local residents but fortunately by the time they reached nearby homes, the clouds had dispersed.

Steve Pashley, from South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: "When we arrived it was well alight and residents had reported hearing loud explosions coming from the building. We believe that there may have been acetylene cylinders inside."

Mr Pashley said fire crews tackled the blaze from the outside the building and had not entered the warehouse.

Two pumps were still at the scene this morning monitoring the smouldering building

Archived