Folk but not folky?

Cozmo

does anyone no of any half decent folk bands/ gigs in sheff that aren't full of beards pipes n rambling type people. Sort of like fairport style? And while I'm on, how bout the dog n partrige on friday nights? class pub, bangin pint of guinness and guitars too. can't knock that bad boy!!

Oh christ! Fairport nearly all have beards!

Sessions in Dog and Partridge are awful - cheesy Irish rubbish. For some good beer, good company, and great music, try Kelham Tavern on alternate Sundays.

Bands wise, for non-beardy folk, try Eliza Carthy and the Ratcatchers, Spiers and Boden, Bellowhead, Whapweasel, Chris Wood, Jim Moray, Seth Lakeman, Rachel Unthank and the Winterset, Jackie Oates....or subscribe to Froots magazine to keep up with it all?

Cheers for your reply nosey. I guess your right about fairport all having beards, apparently even Sandy Deny sported a fair bushell of facial hair from time to time!! Will check out some of the info you gave me cheers. By the Seth Lakeman, like it mate!

Silverwheel are utterly brilliant and are part of the Treebeard family. They're reminiscent of Fairport but have quite a range of styles and do a mean cover of Jacques Brel's Amsterdam. One of them has a magnificent beard but I'm sure you'd be completely intoxicated with their music!

Here's a gig list for them and other the other branches of Treebead:

http://chrisgabadon.demonweb.co.uk/gigs.html

Okay I'll bear it mind thanks for your info. With the regards to the beard.... I have attempted on numerous occasions the aquisition of said beard, but after many weeks perseverance I found that only my neck became hairy, and not my face!! WOUNDED!!!

Archived