Ban on smoking in public places

Should smoking be banned in public places?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Should smoking be banned in public places?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know / care

Originally posted by "DaBouncer"

Ban Chewing gum. It is bad manners to consistently chew like a cow. It sticks to the pavement and takes years to rot. I saw the council workers scraping it off the pavement outside Sheffield city hall, with the aid of a steam cleaning machine. But the government could always put tax on it to encourage people to stop chewing it. Think of the extra revenue ! Then in five years they could ban it and tell us how detrimental it is to our health. :oops:

I dont think there is ever a time when I DONT have a pack of Chudz in my pocket. Although I fing it terrible the way people spit it to the floor! I ALWAYS make sure it goes in a bin of some sort, or stuck to one of those chewing gum signs! To me, dropping gum on the floor or tab ends is as bad as litter bugs throwing wrappers all over the place! People should be on the spot fined for such actions!!!

:lol:

They can be on-the-spot-fined for it. Question is, who's going to do the fining? There have been a couple of fines handed out, but unless you have a dedicated litter-spotting team, it's a problem. Those given the task at the moment (rangers, street rangers, etc) either have too much on to spend ages with a litterbug, or they don't want to risk their skin for the sake of a piece of chewing gum or a ciggie butt.

Laura

OK it's part of the job, but as human rights we should all be able to 'WORK' in a safe environment (and I feel a smoky one isn't)!

Human rights??? Don't quote human rights when you will specifically discriminate against a large amount of the population with your BAN ALL SMOKING.

Also there are no 100% certain links between cancer and smoking. Cancers and tumours have been found on arcaelogical digs of skeletal remains. Also there is a link between cancer and the increased longevity of the modern population and it possible mutation of normal genes due to this excess living.

It is very nice to find a scape goat for a horrible diease when the public affects are not very pleasant on those that do not indulge.

BTW I do not smoke.

Generally I agree that smoking in some areas should be restricted but to ban it completely is surely an infringement of smokers human rights??

They tried it in London. It worked sort of - the smokers ended up buying those nicotine smoking things that are supposed to help you STOP smoking. It gave them their fix and gave their companions a smoke free zone.

Moon Maiden

Originally posted by "Moon Maiden"

OK it's part of the job, but as human rights we should all be able to 'WORK' in a safe environment (and I feel a smoky one isn't)!

Human rights??? Don't quote human rights when you will specifically discriminate against a large amount of the population with your BAN ALL SMOKING.

Also there are no 100% certain links between cancer and smoking. Cancers and tumours have been found on arcaelogical digs of skeletal remains. Also there is a link between cancer and the increased longevity of the modern population and it possible mutation of normal genes due to this excess living.

It is very nice to find a scape goat for a horrible diease when the public affects are not very pleasant on those that do not indulge.

BTW I do not smoke.

Generally I agree that smoking in some areas should be restricted but to ban it completely is surely an infringement of smokers human rights??

They tried it in London. It worked sort of - the smokers ended up buying those nicotine smoking things that are supposed to help you STOP smoking. It gave them their fix and gave their companions a smoke free zone.

Moon Maiden

WOW... you've got a bee in your bonnet!!!

I feel that smoking should be banned... it seriously damages health... it says so on the packets! Don't need any more evidence.

As a basic human right, I have the right to work in a safe zone where other people smoking ISN'T contributing to my own demise!

This may sound harsh coming from a bouncer who puts themseves at risk by simply doing the job in the first place.

If people want to smoke... fine... smoke in your own home, one your own time and away from me. If you want to kill yourselves by smoking... great... don't subject me to it!

Herion is a class A drug... it's banned, it kills you.... due to Human Rights should people be ALLOWED to use HErion for there own use? No... whats the difference with smoking? Because it's NOT a class A drug, gimme a break... whats good for one is good for the other! Both drugs are addictive, both drugs can kill you, in fact both are drugs plain and simple.

Lets just say that generally we follow the Yanks. You are an alien if you smoke in a public place in the US.

Therefore in 5 to 10 years it will be the same here.

BTW

Smoker for 20 years, just trying to stop, done 18 days now. The only reason I want to stop is health reasons.

Originally posted by "mikey"

BTW

Smoker for 20 years, just trying to stop, done 18 days now. The only reason I want to stop is health reasons.

Good luck mate. My better half stopped in February... and she hasn't had another ciggie since.

You can do it mate... good luck! :D

The reason cigarettes are not banned despite health warnings being issued about them since the 16th century - is because the government found a way to make money out of them.

Until you find a way round the country and governments dependancy on cigarettes then smoking will continue to be a part of our culture.

Bee in my bonnet no - I just love to see people branding do gooder slogans about without any actual thought about what they are saying.

Yes it is your right to work in what you percieve to be a safe environment, yes it is right that Mo and her daughter should not have to endure a smokers residue and fear an asma attack shortly after - but it is also the right of a smoker to indulge in their vice.

Did you know that if you filled up a jug with butt ends and then filled it with boiling water - the water conatins pure nicotine and kills very easily???

Perhaps what is needed is simple common courtesy. The people I know who smoke generally keep their smoke out of the way of people they know don't and have always extinguished if asked. However I do know of people who have bitten someones head off for asking.

Moon Maiden

This is going to sound a little stupid.

I don't agree with a ban on smoking in public places, but I'm all for banning smoking altogether.

Let me explain.

I am myself a smoker, and as a smoker I feel it my right to be able to have a cigarette when I go out for a pint, but if smoking were banned altogether it would give me no option but to stop. I have tried on many occaisions to stop smoking, (personal best - 2 weeks :cry: ) but my wife also smokes, and this makes stopping twice as difficult. A total ban would rectify this, and be better for me, my wife and every smoker out there, but as it stands with smoking being allowed, I feel it a bad move to ban it in all public places.

Originally posted by "maxt"

Nice to hear from the minority Hixxy but could you please give us your reasons for not banning it in public?

I don't so much disagree with banning it in public, just pubs and clubs. How many smoke free pubs do you know of that do better business than pubs that allow smoking? None. People go out for a drink, and it is expected that they will also smoke. I know quite a few people who 'only smoke when they've had a drink'. I think the pub and club business would suffer if a public ban was enforced.

Archived