Did any of the Pierrepoints hang anyone in sheffield?

MuteWitness

Anyone know as ive heard that there was a place for hanging in Sheffield

Thanks

There has been no hanging in Sheffield, only gibbetted. That was on clifton street. in the back yard of the yellow lion. The builder came across the stump and unearthed it to find it was the bottom of the gibbet post.

I have posted the drawing to friends and anyone who wants it as i do not know how to put it on the forum. if you want it give me your email address please by PM.

yours bluebird62

I lived on Ravensworth Road which led down to Broughton Lane, my mum and dad always told me there was a gibbet there for Broughton, but I think it was at the back of The Pheasant Inn.

The Pierrepoints lived in Marple, not too far away so its quite conceivable they did hang people in Sheffield, though of course way after Broughtons time. According to my dad, Sillitoe the chief of police was well in favour of brutal punishment, including hanging.

Hello alevans, I can honestly say to you that your parents are wrong just like everyother person who says that the gibbet was on Broughton lane. The gibbet was on Clifton street found by a builder in the back yard of the Yellow Lion Pub. This was a long time ago when the only pubs on carbrook were the Old Harrow Inn, the Carbrook Hotel and of course the Pheasant Inn, and when cattle was herded thro' carbrook back in the 18th century, when Broughton Lane was called "Greenland Engine Road"'

For all those who say thay the gibbet was on Broughton Lane I can honestly say to you that The gibbet was on Clifton street found by a builder in the back yard of the Yellow Lion Pub. This was a long time ago when the only pubs on carbrook were the Old Harrow Inn, the Carbrook Hotel and of course the Pheasant Inn, and when cattle was herded thro' carbrook back in the 18th century, when Broughton Lane was called "Greenland Engine Road"'.

I have an old drawing which i came across,[i have had this for some time now] and submitted it to the sheffieldpicture.com for all to see.

If anyone want to see it from me please pm me your address and i will email you all a copy.

THANK YOU.

:hihi: Hi there new to this forum.

I watched the Pierrepoint dvd last night I thought it was very good. I have read the book that Pierrepoint wrote as well. I think there have been 3 hangmen with that name all related to one another. Pierrepoint was responsible for hanging some very infamous murderers like Christie, Haigh (the acid bath killer) and Heath he also controversially hanged Ruth Ellis, Timothy Evans and Derek Bentley. In all I think he hanged over 600 people. At the end of the book he made reference to capital punishment not being that much of a deterant.

There was a Pierrepoint shop at attercliffe, I think it was a grocers, next to the Royal bank of Scotland, I have not been past for a while so it may not be there now, I don`t know if they were relations to Albert Pierrepoint.

Archived