Jimi Hendrix at City Hall 1967

Originally posted by Chris M

Mojo - incredible line up - Hendrix and Humperdinck on the same

bill !!!!

What venue in Cheserfield was used ?

It was the ABC Cinema.

I recall that Jimi closed the first half and all the mums & dads who had come to see Englebert walked out!

I looked this up on "Google" all about Little Richard..

(After three years of little success as a gospel performer Richard went back to Rock and Roll.. October, 1962 he began a tour of England and year later toured Europe with the Rolling Stones as his opening act.

A number of record companies took notice and invited him back to the studio, but they were only interested in repackaging his old hits. Specialty, in five sessions attempted to rekindle the 1957 magic.

During this period Jimi Hendrix was briefly Richard's guitarists.)

The story has it that Little Richard sacked Jimmy because he looked too good on stage, and took the limelight off him.

Originally posted by Timbuck

I looked this up on "Google" all about Little Richard..

(After three years of little success as a gospel performer Richard went back to Rock and Roll.. October, 1962 he began a tour of England and year later toured Europe with the Rolling Stones as his opening act.

A number of record companies took notice and invited him back to the studio, but they were only interested in repackaging his old hits. Specialty, in five sessions attempted to rekindle the 1957 magic.

During this period Jimi Hendrix was briefly Richard's guitarists.)

The story has it that Little Richard sacked Jimmy because he looked too good on stage, and took the limelight off him.

It's true that Hendrix was in Little Richard's band on and off between 1960-64, but he never toured Britain with Richard.

The first time Jimi left America was September 1966 with Chas Chandler (bass player of the Animals) who brought him to London and became his manager.

• 1 year later...

I was there and seem to remember Pink Floyd were completely in the dark - it could have been anyone performing.

I have since sold the flyer from this concert, which was a freebit for anyone to pick up for £250!! My friend has searched all over for hers but unable to locate.

We went to the first house concert and not old enough to be let out later.

The memories - having seen Jimi Hendrix has done wonders for my streetcred ever my kids are so impressed!!

I remember see Hendrix at the City Hall in '67 along with all the other bands mentioned. The thing i remember most is him squirting lighter fluid all over his guitar, a white Fender Strat that i would've killed for, and setting it on fire!

The week before the Hendrix concert, there was another one featuring The Who, The Herd and several more bands that i can't quite remember....and all this for about 7/6d.

I seem to recall that apart from Hendrix, I really wanted to see The Nice, who had just released their first album, The Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack.....

Bear in mind that Keith Emerson was THE keyboardist of note at the time, I was very surprised that the band got not only a lukewarm welcome, but were also virtually booed off stage.

I also remember that my ticket cost the same as a new pair of Lee Rider jeans (£1/12/6 or maybe £1/17/6).....

Think that another band that was featured was The End, who were managed/produced by the Stones' Bill Wyman....

Originally posted by RiffRaff

Bear in mind that Keith Emerson was THE keyboardist of note at the time,

There was some negotiation between Hendrix and Emerson about forming a new band together which they would call "HELP"

(Hendrix, Emerson, Lake and Palmer)

Amazing value at these concerts. We paid 7/6d which wasn't a lot even then, you didn't need to save up. Also went to see Led Zep for £1 around 1973 I think. A bit different from the £50 to see Queen at the Arena this year. I saw Queen at the City Hall too and fell in love with Freddie, I was so young didn't realise he was gay!

By coincidence, both Pink Floyd and their pscychadelic lightshow and Jimi Hendrix featured on Sounds of the Sixties on BBC Four on Friday night.

Originally posted by Babs3

By coincidence, both Pink Floyd and their pscychadelic lightshow and Jimi Hendrix featured on Sounds of the Sixties on BBC Four on Friday night.

It was great wasn't it?

Keith Emerson was also on, with his famous rendition of Leonard Bernstein's America, including daggers in the keys and burning the flag - phenomenal!!

It occurred to me that, brilliant as the Floyd were at Live8, how good would it have been if Syd had been there?

I miss him...