Info on woodhouse near handsworth

angel7025

There's is a book probably now only available from the library called Le Talls Woodhouse,

Le tall was the local doctor in last century and lived in the middle of the village, {His house is currently up for sale, at the side of the chemist, in the center of the village}

Does not contain all that much history but gives a very interesting insight and some good stories such as when the army were called into Woodhouse to quell some striking miners, and the story of the murder of a showman in his caravan.

There are two good books packed with interesting photos available from W H Smith.These are compiled by Len Widdoson, who is the prominent local historian and will willingly help anyone wanting information on the area .

I know he lives behind Crystal peaks but I got his address from the publishers of his books. What he doesn't know about the history of Woodhouse isn't worth knowing

There's is a book probably now only available from the library called Le Talls Woodhouse,

Le tall was the local doctor in last century and lived in the middle of the village, {His house is currently up for sale, at the side of the chemist, in the center of the village}

Does not contain all that much history but gives a very interesting insight and some good stories such as when the army were called into Woodhouse to quell some striking miners, and the story of the murder of a showman in his caravan.

There are two good books packed with interesting photos available from W H Smith.These are compiled by Len Widdoson, who is the prominent local historian and will willingly help anyone wanting information on the area .

I know he lives behind Crystal peaks but I got his address from the publishers of his books. What he doesn't know about the history of Woodhouse isn't worth knowing

really?

i mustve missed those lol :P

• 4 years later...

For anyone wanting to use the Sheffield archives. They have been closed for nearly a year for a major refurb [ or at least updating the aircon system in the strong room ] but will be re-opening on Monday the 5th of September 2011. For anyone wanting to do some research, it will probably be busy after all that time, so you may need to book a machine [fiche, film reader or computer ] depending upon what it is you are researching. As the new series of 'Who Do You Think You Are' has recently started, this also means that more people decide to look into their family history, so increasing the demand.

If visiting for the first time, you will need some proof of identity i.e a utility bill etc.

Archived