The Leadmill Late 80's

surfinjim

How about that series of satirical revues they used to have on Fridays in the mid-eighties - it was called The Sheffield Friday Show or something like that. It was fairly patchy, which is only to be expected when they were writing a lot of material so quickly, but the whole concept was entirely commendable. I recall you could pay to see that, then hang around and stay for La Videotech (Mark 1 version).

Hmm, and, I recall a bloke in shorts and a bowler hat working on the turnstile in the early days. Strange.

just remembered some more-

guy with beard who used to dance on his own, then at the end of the night go out and unlock his push bike from the scaffold next door. he'd then drunkenly wobble off into the night, no lights on either.he must have been pulled by the police. we saw him quite a few times though.

queing to get in for a band, there was a lad who was quite obviously under age trying to get in.he'd scratched off his DOB on his passport and tried penning a new one over the top, made a right mess, passport would have been knackered. the bouncers thought it highly amusing and had a good giggle, needless to say he didnt get in.

• 4 months later...

I worked behind the bar in the leadmill for a few years, between 91 and prob 94. I think I know who you must be surfinjim. Could be wrong. I havent kept in touch with anyone from there.

I have some fab memories from those days :-)

i only really went to a few gigs at the leadmill

although i remember chumbawamba playing and there was some nazis heckling from the crowd ..not sure but i remember they got beat up eventually??

i also went to see jah shaka and mi mate was at the front by the speaker and he'd been partaking in a bit of weed and alcohol, when the dub bass kicked in he promptly threw up over the barrier lol

Hi melthebell, hope surfinjim dont mind me going off subject but jah shaka is a great sound. I dont know if you ever seen the film babylon (1980) but it involved the jah shaka sound, he was actually in the film as well.

yeah i used to have a few jah shaka lps back in the day and love babylon, its one of my fave films ever.

trouble is ive not been able to locate it to buy OR download as yet :(

yeah the other soundsystem is played by aswad i believe :P

but didn't you pay to watch a band then after they would chuck you out so you'd pay again to use the club...

They didnt start doing that till quite a few years later. In fact in the mid 80s the main band would come on at 11ish, but then they started putting them on earlier to get two crowds (one for band + one for disco), then they twigged they could make even more cash by throwing everyone out after the band & making them pay to come back in again!

I was a regular on saturdays for most of this period & saw some great bands - and as it was so cheap to get in - didnt matter if they were rubbish - you just went to the bar till the disco started!

I think the most surprising band, who I'd never heard of before, were the Fench Funk Federation - a big french funk band (strangely enough) who took the roof off the place - they were brilliant. Janes Addiction (89?) also goes down as one of the best gigs I've ever been to anywhere.

I worked behind the bar in the leadmill for a few years, between 91 and prob 94. I think I know who you must be surfinjim. Could be wrong. I havent kept in touch with anyone from there.

I have some fab memories from those days :-)

You need to give me a few clues mum23 as to who you are then?

I used to work on Friday and Saturdays only, and had another job during the day. I lived at Grenoside at the time when I worked in the Ledders.

I used to knock about with Sean (from Luton, now lives in Michigan) and Kim (from Gleadless, now lives in Norway).

I think I know who you could be, but I need a clue as old age is setting in.....;)

Cheers

Jim:thumbsup: