The Leadmill Late 80's

surfinjim

Would love to see an archive of all the bands to play at the Leadmill, I recall Teenage fannies and 1,000 yard stare to name a couple but a lot i can never recall? (thnx to the "part 2" trip self abuse days before,during and after the 'madchester' era :-#)

A list of names I remember:

Kim, Winnie, Mick Muir, Colin...& his son (looked like a rockin' Glen Madeiros), Russ, Wayne & Mick O'neil, Wayne Helliwell, Mark Ward (Pob dressed as Morrissey), Scotty, Jim (head Doorman), Graeme Park, Stephen 'Del' Ellis, Our Amanda, Tracy Lee (now Oldfield), Alan Charlesworth, Diane (Scotty's Bird), Vanessa, Martin Boyle (bouncer who owned Gym), Donna, I think there was a greek bouncer too!??...don't know his name though.

Ged,.... who was the skinny bird who looked like Olive Oyl from Popeye? A big daft bouncer who reminded me of Barny Bear?(white fella). Another bouncer who was white with black slick hair and thought he was gods gift. Lisa (Whittaker?) and her mad Irish mother.

Anyway, Jamie, do you remember doing a Frog impression up and down the bar?...I do (why, I don't know, but I do)

Remember Wednesday nights?...'Yo!, Pils!'...thats all you used to get off the punters...got on my nerves, the ignorant sods.

I remember the little bar too...me and Russ used to sit there all night, smoking free roll ups, drinking free cocktails and beer, and serving the lovely ladies without having to get off our arses...everything was to hand!...excellent.

Kebabs and wait for your taxi.... maybe Dave and his 'Sweeny' Rover.

I always said it was the best job I ever had.

Here's one for you all...top tunes of the day in the Leadmill?

Some I remember are:

Voodoo Ray, Jump Around, Sit Down, most Smiths, Happy Mondays and Stone Roses, the only way is up! (jesus, I actually used to quite like that one!) one that was a rap track and used to say 'cos I'm the Godfather' in the chorus bit, but I can't for the life of me remember who did it, I've looked all over the internet trying to get it to no avail. Russ O'neil would know but I don't see him now. Doug Lazy (let it roll), and loads more to mention.

will keep an eye out for any suggestions to my music puzzle.

See you later....Me.

A list of names I remember:

Kim, Winnie, Mick Muir, Colin...& his son (looked like a rockin' Glen Madeiros), Russ, Wayne & Mick O'neil, Wayne Helliwell, Mark Ward (Pob dressed as Morrissey), Scotty, Jim (head Doorman), Graeme Park, Stephen 'Del' Ellis, Our Amanda, Tracy Lee (now Oldfield), Alan Charlesworth, Diane (Scotty's Bird), Vanessa, Martin Boyle (bouncer who owned Gym), Donna, I think there was a greek bouncer too!??...don't know his name though.

Ged,.... who was the skinny bird who looked like Olive Oyl from Popeye? A big daft bouncer who reminded me of Barny Bear?(white fella). Another bouncer who was white with black slick hair and thought he was gods gift. Lisa (Whittaker?) and her mad Irish mother.

Anyway, Jamie, do you remember doing a Frog impression up and down the bar?...I do (why, I don't know, but I do)

Remember Wednesday nights?...'Yo!, Pils!'...thats all you used to get off the punters...got on my nerves, the ignorant sods.

I remember the little bar too...me and Russ used to sit there all night, smoking free roll ups, drinking free cocktails and beer, and serving the lovely ladies without having to get off our arses...everything was to hand!...excellent.

Kebabs and wait for your taxi.... maybe Dave and his 'Sweeny' Rover.

I always said it was the best job I ever had.

Here's one for you all...top tunes of the day in the Leadmill?

Some I remember are:

Voodoo Ray, Jump Around, Sit Down, most Smiths, Happy Mondays and Stone Roses, the only way is up! (jesus, I actually used to quite like that one!) one that was a rap track and used to say 'cos I'm the Godfather' in the chorus bit, but I can't for the life of me remember who did it, I've looked all over the internet trying to get it to no avail. Russ O'neil would know but I don't see him now. Doug Lazy (let it roll), and loads more to mention.

will keep an eye out for any suggestions to my music puzzle.

See you later....Me.

Can't say i remember the frog impression, but there were many nights working there that I couldn't remember anything much about!

Some classic names there and some classic tunes. Mark Ward and wayne Helliwell! Crikey thats going back some.

I seem to remember a big greek bouncer as well as Big Joe who was also an Irish fella like martin Boyle.

Tunes I always remember from a saturday night....

Anything by The Pogues. Cruisers Creek by the Fall.

Thursday Nights- I believe in Miracles by The Jackson Sisters

Mark, other then your Amanda are you still in touch with any of these characters? Fancy pulling a reunion night together???

Jim:thumbsup:

Hmm!!.... I'm a bit disappointed that my name wasn't mentioned in any posts on this thread, after all I did work at the Leadmill practically every night from when it first opened with Oddessy in 1982 until I'd had enough & left in 1989.

I was a 'bouncer', usually on the door trying to stop indesirable types from entering the Leadmill, on most nights I did a good job, but often put my life in danger by having to disarm people with knives & other weapons, save others from imminent harm & stop many fights caused mainly by such gangs as the 'BBC' & most of the time the punters & staff were not even aware of what was going on, all they would see was a bouncer AGAIN being heavy handed, when most of the time I used a softly softly approach.

Julie Tippins (a DJ at the time) hated my guts, but then again I was on a different wave length to many who worked there & the punters.

I know I helped to make the Leadmill a reasonably safe place to be, but towards the end I felt that I could not rely on some of the other staff so I decided to leave, which I'm glad I did, because a few weeks later unfortunately, three bouncers on the door were badly hurt by a gang with knives.

Believe it or not tho' I have a lot of happy memories working at the Leadmill & even after all this time I still miss the place.

I was lucky enough to catch some BRILLIANT gigs at the Leadmill between 1991 and 1995/96 -

including the utterly superb Marion in 1995 - my favourite gig ever. :thumbsup:

Also saw an incredible gig by the Manics in August 1991, and Peter Perrett with his new band The One, I think it was in 1995.

If I remember right, I've described all those gigs at length already on SF, so I won't repeat myself!

Also saw Big Audio Dynamite, Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros, the Buzzcocks, etc, etc.

Along with Rock City in Nottingham, at that time I rated the Leadmill as the best gig venue I'd ever been to.

As people have said - happy days, very happy days :)

StarSparkle

I never wore a FGTH t-shirt and I didn't have a mullet! I wasn't cool enough for a mullet.

The bouncer was Dawn, and she looked mean but was a real sweetheart!

She spent all night looking for money on the floor.

Well if it wasn't you then Sean, who was it????

Jim:thumbsup: