The Leadmill Late 80's

surfinjim

• 7 years later...

I used to frequent The Leadmill regularly in 87 & 88, especially on Thursday's Beat Club. I saw Big Audio Dynamite at the club at this time. My abiding memory is the friendly atmos (staff, bouncers, & punters), the non-stop dancing, and the condensation dripping from the ceiling. I remember the NME voting it one of the top 30 venues in the world back in the 80s.

• 6 years later...

OK just made a list of the gigs i saw at the Leadmill back in the day, good job i have a gig book lol, was posting them on a group on facebook so thought id post them here too.

7th June 1987 - Culture Shock, Chumbawamba.

7th november 1987 - Perfect Daze, Stupids.

2nd January 1990 - Dim, Illogic.

9th September 1990 - Napalm Death, Cerebral fix.

2nd December 1990 - Acid Reign, Legion.

10th November 1991 - Discharge, UK Subs and i think Blitkreig?.

15th February 1992 - Young Gods, Milk.

28th February 1992 - MC 900 foot jesus.

9th June 1992 - Chumbawamba, Shudder to think, Colour of sound.

6th february 1993 - Chumbawamba, Readymades.

4th September 1993 - Poisoned electrick head, Back to the planet.

26th September 1993 - Various vegetables, Blind mole rat, Afid.

and as i said, i saw Jah Shaka there but its not wrote down

• 1 year later...
On 14/09/2006 at 01:24, samsmum said:

all i can remember about the leadmill in the late 80's/early 90's was the ceiling dripping on you towards the end of the night...yuck!!!

oh, and the great chips you used to get from that little cafe ... last time i went in the leadmill was about 3 years ago, and i agree with ousetunes - it wasnt as good as it used to be.

Best days were when we started as a non profitmaking co-op up until 1988 when almost all the founders had left. Adrian and I and some others turned it into a charity for the city if Sheffield cos we built it from grants but one guy and we all know who that was got greedy and bankrupted the place then conned the charuty into selling it to him for peanuts, shut down the arts  centre side and made himself a millionaire in less than three years... Not sure if he still owns it cos I left the country in 88 ( sick of Maggie Thatcher et al).  Got lots of emails from lots of people complaining and asking if I could do anything but the Charity Commissiion, City and County councils ( the trustees of the charity) turned a blind eye... so you have what you have today instead of somethingc designed to give back to unemployed, low paid, artists and crafts people who built it.

SAD STORY of greed and selfishness from what I have been told from multiple sources.