James Dixon and Sons - Info wanted.

Hello members,

I am new, so maybe this posting does not belong here, but I saw that you were asking and discussing J. Dixon & Sons.

I have a sugarpot / bowl (no lid) and a creamer that I love to see for there stylishness. The bottom of each has a very stylish trim with 4/5 circels above each other that becomes widener to the bottom. The sugarbowl has also two stylish ears.

It looks like the era of arts and crafts, but were so stylish that they also could from the 1920's / 1930's.

It looks silverplated, because of the " shine", but .....

I was told that it could be from the 1880-1900's and designed by / or inspired by Dresser.

The JD&S is J. Dixon and Sons from Sheffield. Thats all what I am sure about.

The signs and numbers on both bottoms are:

First row: (Vertical) EP (Horizontal)JD&S (Sort of)Trumpet/flag/key

Second row: D1815

Third row: HARDSOLDERD

Fourth row: MADE IN ENGLAND

Thereunder in the middle: (Not in a frame or so) F

I hope you could solve some questions.

If someone needed photographs of the items, I will be glad to send by mail. I did not see a possibility to show them here in the forum.

Thank you from the Netherlands, Wim

It wasnt the English inflation that made the cost of Silver to rise, it was two brothers either in U.S.A. or in the far east who bought up nearly all the worlds reserves just to corner the market and make the price rise which they successfully did.

All of DIXONS marks are now owned by THE SOLPRO GROUP including BRITISH SILVERWARE which is situated at WINDSOR ST down ATTERCLIFFE. When I worked at BRITISH SILVERWARE I saw the the hundreds of marks and dies that they had down Heeley and they stil had hundreds more at Windsor St.

The craftmanship of the work on the dies was top class.

Hi there ,we moved into sheafbank works in Heeley in about 2000ish and just around then british silverware moved out all the tools and most of the dies were skipped it was such a shame all the time and money that went into producing those tools wasted .we tried to get some out of the skip but were not allowed ,it breaks your heart to know what britain had and now we've got now't left,all we can do is ship it in ,mostly from china.:confused:

• 2 weeks later...

Now to throw a spanner into the works I have a spoon which has the following markings, from left to right.

SN (written sideways)

DIXON (which appears to be done with a letter punch that forms a cloud around the word)

A Shield containing a Bugle with a Pennant hanging from it

RESISTARN (Also within a cloud)

From what I have been able to find so far the SN stands for Samuel Neville 1799 to 1833, the Bugle mark seems to be for Dixon & Sons 1869 onwards, and I am unable to find anything on the Resistarn.

This leaves me to believe that this spoon is a recreation of an earlier design or possibly a crude knock off, could either of these be the case or is it a genuine article?

Can anyone shed any light in my direction.

• 2 months later...

Holy thread revival!

I've found out a few things about a random bit of metalware my mrs said she had, which is stamped.

ww.kenco.plus.com/images/tin_inside.jpg

I am able to surmise that the L means it was made in 1854 and that the JAMES DIXON&SONS means that it was made after a certain date but the omission of a trumpet means it was before another date. I can also see it's made with EPBM (electro-plated Britannia Metal).

What I can't figure out is the number 16 above the company name or the number 949 before the L.

I've had a look through the links posted so far in this thread and it has made for interesting reading, but I'm stuck trying to identify what this case actually is!

Here's another two (not very good) photos of it:

Front:

ww.kenco.plus.com/images/tin_front.jpg

Back:

ww.kenco.plus.com/images/tin_back.jpg

edit: btw, apologies for the lack of full url's for the images, but the spam protection on the forums prevented me from posting links directly.

• 2 weeks later...

My name is Lionel Clarke and I used to work for Oakes Turner on Arundel Street who were bullion dealers.I started there in the early 60's and the last of my jobs there was to delivery silver to all the little mesters in Sheffield.I can remember going to James Dixons in Cornish Place and climbing up the really steep wooden stairs to the silversmiths department.The boss at the time was called Mr.Milo Dixon,who always used to call me "young Clarke"

To identify Sheffield silver it will carry ,probably four marks which are a lion denoting it is silver,a crown or possibly a rose which denotes Sheffield,a date letter denoting when it was made and finally the makers mark,J.D & S.

Hoping this is of interest.

I have a Teapot, Sugar bowl and creamer set with the following marks

Y

Trumpet and banner

JD&S

EPBM

E934

1 1/2

scratched N

barely visible stencilled S

The interesting thing is that if family history is correct, this set was made in 1946 by Arthur Richardson of James Dixon and Sons for the silver wedding of his sister and brother in law.

Hi, I was helping clean out a house after the last occupant died. It was a brother and 3 spinster sisters living alone. They all worked as nurses/medics in WW1. One thing I kept was what looks like pewter flask. On the side it says AROM.SPIRIT.AMMON. On the bottom is stamped, from top to bottom:

- a symbol that looks like a figure 8 on its side, with a vertical line through the axis.

- a symbol that looks like a bugle with flag hanging off of it and two tassels

- James Dixon & Sons

- SHEFFIELD

Can anyone help me figure out what this is and what it is worth?

Tx

David